just got a new (to me) MIM P-Bass!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by whiteout, Jan 1, 2002.

1. thats right, took my yamaha rbx760 down to the guitar trader, and got exactly what I wanted. Ill post some pics as soon as I can. I have some questions though. I want to upgrade this mother like crazy, and heres what Im thinking...
    -new pickguard (probably black or tortise shell)
    -new pickups (possibly seymour duncan quarter pounders, any suggestions? I really dont know what to put in it. I want a real heavy big bottom rock sound, so whatever will get me that is what I want.)
    -new tuners (schaller?)
    -new bridge - (baddass II is what Im thinking, what else is there?)
    thats about it, or at least thats all I had in mind. if anyone else can recomend any other upgrades Id love to hear it, or at leat help me with the ones I had in mind, deciding on what to get for pickups and how to go about doing it in what order.
    thanks alot guys.

2. lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Thats almost exactly what I did to my MIM Jazz. Except I put SD Vintage's in for pickups.
  3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    For the amount of money you're planning on spending on upgrades you could buy a new MIA P! I say save your money and stick with stock. I believe that EVERYTHING on the MIM Fenders is underrated except the body/neck wood. Why mess with it?
  4. I already have an MIA jazz, I want a project :). something I can customise and play with.
  5. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I've tried a ton of P pickups, and if you're looking for a really thunderous low end, I recommend active EMG's. Plenty of highs, plenty of definition, but really deep lows. The Fender Original '62 is also very good, if you want a high-quality pickup that has the classic P sound.
  6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Ahhh... a project... I completely understand. :D

There are many better bridges than Badass. I'd recommend a Schaller, great bridge, decent price. My "made from parts" P-bass has a Schaller bridge and it's really impressive and high mass.

Also, that bass has a Fender Lace Sensor pickup, which I think sounds extremely good. Very powerful and has a nice aggressive P tone. I think Lace still makes pickups.

Have fun!
  7. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    The Gotoh 201 bridge would be another option.Its a direct bolt on,and can be had for somewhere around $20.