1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

just got a new toy....do i take the wrapper off?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by audreycashin, Jan 6, 2012.

1. audreycashin

audreycashin Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2010
    long island, ny
    Just got a minty mint JP-90 with OHSC......from 1990 with the plastic still on the pickguard! is it more collectible if i leave the plastic wrap on? BTW very undervalued IMHO.....wonderfully light and resonant, even unplugged!:smug:

2. wilder

wilder Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Denton, TX.
    Congrats...of course you take the plastic off! Leaving it on looks like crap and would indicate to me that you don't know it can be removed.

3. audreycashin

audreycashin Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2010
    long island, ny
    not really looking to gig with it at this point...looking to save a fender orphan for posterity....and the dirty feeling i get way down low when i fondle her....so looking towards having it appreciate in value with any luck......:rolleyes:

4. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    At some point, many times, that plastic becomes very tough to remove, and can do permanent marking to the pick guard.

There is no harm in taking it off. IMHO.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'd leave it. Just get a new pickguard if you want to gig with it.

6. This. I got an older bass once with the film still on and it was a bitch to remove. Not as easy as your typical naptha on sticker residue job.

7. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    where's the pix, GRRRRRR!!!

8. Old Joe

Old Joe Guest

Apr 22, 2011
    I find it kind of funny that people leave the films on the pickguards. It is a pickguard. :)

But it's also your bass and not mine.

9. Why are you worried about what makes the bass more collectible?
    Do you buy your basses as investments, or as players?

The film is meant to protect the pickguard during assembly and shipping. Once you have your bass, you take it off, because it looks terrible. If the pickguard gets scratched, you replace it. That is the purpose for which it was designed.

10. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I bought a P bass in a pawn shop that had some scratches on the pick guard and a few dings. Was going to replace the pickguard, but I decided that the dings and scratches give the bass some character. Makes it look like it's actually used to make music, not as wall decoration.

11. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Uhhhh did you guys miss something , its from 1990

so its been on there for 21 years

might as well keep it on...and annoy people for another 20+ years

I love it when people freak out over a stupid piece of plastic,

or heck even foil, thats why i leave the extra foil in my cigarette packs. People go nuts and its not even theirs.

Ha Ha its so easy to pester the Gen X:spit:
    if you wanna hear something really annoying listen to this

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh:eek:

12. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    +1

Take it off.

13. Just because the last owner wanted his/her bass to look terrible with the film on the pickguard, doesn't mean the OP should do the same.

The only issue is that, by now, it might not peel off cleanly.

14. paparoof

paparoof Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Minneapolis
    fEARful koolaid drinker
    LOL.

15. dave_p

dave_p

Dec 20, 2005
    CT
    90's oddball fenders currently have no value. you can get american 5 string jazz basses from early 90's for 500$ 80's japanease fenders are worth more than american 90's fenders. what drives me nuts id the fools that leave the stupid assed made in usa flag stickers on their brand new rics. take that crap off.

16. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I got a TS guard for my 2002 Precision. The original white one sits in the file with all the case candy. It still has the plastic on it.

17. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

That's right! No pics of old plastic, no old PG with old plastic. Is there even a bass?!:eek:

18. You yourself are calling it a toy. IMO, toys are meant to be played with.

But then again, cars are meant to be driven, coins are meant to be spent, etc. Collectors are weird people :D

Do whatever you want!

19. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Since you ASKED, I'll give you my ANSWER, which is take it off. Normally I'd be neutral but that crap can fuse to the plastic after many years and could potentially make the "stock pickguard" worthless, and for collector value you'd want it pure stock.

20. I had a guy come into the music store I used to work at and ask me how much it would cost to have the plastic put back on his pickguard. I still can't stop laughing 10 years later...