1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just got a QSC CX302V.. what should I do with it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ashtray666, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Howdy,

Today I got a QSC CX302V for free, I am curious as to what I can do with it or should just sell while I can still get a few bucks..

I learned where it came from and the person whom I acquired this from said it works. So I taking word for it as of now. I mean powers on an everything.

I suppose the one confusing thing is the whole voltage output, I know that this company makes power amps an such, not just for use with bass rigs. I read the manual an other things online but I am still lost. Anyone know bout these ?

Thanks !

image. image. image.

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    One of the gentlemen from QSC is a member but for the life of me I can't remember his username.

3. Bob Lee ??

packhowitzer likes this.
  4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Iirc, the V version is 70 volt which is designed to drive 70 volt distributed speakers. They are much higher impedance than typical bass guitar speakers.

Sell it

[edit for horrendous auto-correct error]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    Bob Lee (QSC) and Ashtray666 like this.
  5. agedhorse likes this.
  6. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    It's a great amp for 70V applications. I've installed many.

7. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Yep, Will's brother. :thumbsup:

staurosjohn likes this.
  8. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    YES!! \m/

Now we're talking ;)

Fire that thing up

9. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Get rid of it, as soon as possible.

10. Evilbay

11. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    You should start a donut shop.

And install a kick butt ceiling speaker system with it.

Donuts and Coffee is one of the finer pleasures in life

12. @BogeyBass Yes!!!! thanks for the reminder! I live by a 24 hour donut shop and I’ve been trying to remember what I thought of I wanted

13. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Lol...Rad

I just thought of that, cause I just recently visited the local 24hr donut shop too. For the first time as well.

24hrs!!!
    Perfect front for underground club lol

Funny though with 70volt systems they mount the transformer right to the speaker sometimes. And it reminds me of old Valco amps that had transformers on the speaker

14. Somewhere a boat is missing an anchor.

15. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    Exactly so--we use that model of amplifier for our church's distributed speakers (which are also QSC) and each speaker has its own transformer. They each also have a setting for the number of watts you want delivered so you can fine tune the volume of each speaker based on its surroundings. If you want to run a "normal" speaker cabinet with a 70V amp, you have to put a transformer in line with it and set the impedance to match the speaker cabinet.

16. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Oh I don't think so. This is a high quality, light weight SMPS based product that's still a current industry standard.

Beware that most 70 volt products are bandwidth limited to >40Hz to prevent low frequency saturation issues with the transformers located at each speaker. There are some exceptions, but most applications insert a HPF into the electronics before or at the amp somewhere around 70-80Hz all the way up to 100Hz.

Bob Lee (QSC) and wmhill like this.
  17. sawzalot

sawzalot Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    I set up a CX1202V (the CX302V's big big brother) for my local pool. The CX1202V can drive both 70v and 8 ohm loads just fine, but the CX302V cannot. Sell it to someone who needs a 70V amp.

CX302V

Bob Lee (QSC) likes this.
  18. sawzalot

sawzalot Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    IIRC the CX 70v series has DIP switches in back that can engage switch in an HPF at 30/35/50/70 Hz.

19. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Correct, because some models can direct drive 8 or 4 ohm speakers (depending on the model) and MIGHT be used to drive subs in a system that includes distributed components. The CX series allows some mixing and matching with standardization of product line.

20. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    @Bob Lee (QSC)

S-Bigbottom likes this.