Just got a raise and need some advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jincubate, Aug 19, 2005.

1. jincubate

Aug 18, 2005
    Been looking for a new bass and getting some extra cash just doesn't help the restraint on my GAS.
    I've gone to local guitar shops to play on as many basses I can to get a good feel on what I want, unfortunately none had the basses I really wanted to try so I'm going to have to go into this next purchase semi-blind, hopefully I can get a bit of advice from TBers.

Heres what I've tried and felt -

MIA Jazz and Precisions Deluxe and non DLX - I don't know if it was an issue of the shops not setting it up correctly but these just didn't do it for me.

My brother and I were trying everything with the knobs and switching to diff amps but none of those Fenders sounded 'right' to either of us. We really thought there was just something wrong with the 3 amps we were using until we tried ....

Geddy Lee - To me, the neck was pretty comfy and the tone was great compared to all the other Fenders we tried. However I'm not looking for a 4 string :bawl:

Now here's the dilemna :
    What I've been trying to desperately trying to find to try in shops were a Stingray 5 and a RI 62 Jazz just like [play paintball]'s new one (that thing is beautiful) but alas, no local guitar shops have those and I can't really leave the area for awhile due to big project at work. I'm really dead set on getting a white bass, whether it be trans-white on the sadowsky, olypmic white on the RI 62, or buttercream/white on the Stingrays.

I currently own a Shecter Elite 5 and while its a great bass, its just not for me. I'm digging funk and blues right now and really want to learn slap/funk as soon as I get more spare time.

So what should I do? I've read as much as I could on all these instruments but since I really can't go out there and try them before I buy I need some help :confused:

I've narrowed it down to these 3:
    - sadowsky from 5bassman
    - RI 62 Jazz
    - Stringray 5

The only thing I can think of to help out with the advice a little is if there are any similarities between any of these 3 to the Geddy Lee, specifically the neck. I've read that the Stingray's neck was a bit chunky, but would like to hear from people who has played both GL and SR.

Thanks in advance,
  2. all three are excellent choices...

and white is sooooooo classy.
  3. jincubate

Aug 18, 2005
    yeah, tell me about it, going crazy trying to decide which bass. and yeah, white is pretty sexy :D
  4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I say get a 5. I always enjoy the extra range and I miss it whenever I play a four. I persoanlly love my Stingray 5. I think it is a really great bass. it is versatile too if you have a good feel for it. I've no experience with Sadowskys. Most everryone who has one say it's great. If you don't like it, it will be easy to sell it.