Just got a really crummy Geddy Lee Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by theJello, Apr 17, 2007.

1. theJello

theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    This post really serves no purpose other than to warn people of the hit and miss quality of Fender, because I don't deny that there are some really nice ones out there, including Geddy Lee J-basses. Anyway, the one I just recieved from Musicians Friend is absolute garbage. The neck is totally tweaked. There is so much relief in the neck you can practically see it. What a joy it was to take the neck off to adjust the truss rod. Low and behold I turned it about a millimeter and it's completely tight!! No adjustment available. This bass is unplayable. Also, upon closer inspection, I noticed the neck is installed crooked and there is a pretty big gap in the neck pocket. Regarding the truss rod, even if I got a perfect one, I think I would consider sending this bass back. I mean it's a pain to adjust the truss rod. Unless there is something I am missing and you dont have to remove the neck to adjust it. I remember somebody posted something about it on here that it is possible, but I don't see how. Anyway, I just had to post this because I am highly bummed and really looked forward to getting this bass. It's ashame because the bass looks really cool and the open strings sound great.

2. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Mait it back. Buy one at a store where you can inspect it and try before you buy. This process will eliminate the problems you had with this one

Rob

3. richard simmons

richard simmons

Jul 20, 2006
    The truss rod is adjustable at the end of the neck near the headstock on the fretboard side of the neck... Is that what you are referring to?

4. theJello

theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    I know, I know, I totally agree. But, I live in a small college town in Iowa and there arent that many choices if you know what I mean! It sucks.

5. theJello

theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    Yes, I know. Its not adjustable. It's completely tight already and there is a TON of relief in the neck. The neck is completely screwed.

6. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Sorry. Just figured with all the Fender dealers in the U.S. there would be something near you. Might also want to try an online store that actually is a guitar store and not a mega music dealer. They usually ship from stock and sort of inspect their products. Basscentral, BassNW, and many more. Many have banners here or on bassgear.com. You can talk to them. They will usually match prices and be helpful if you have a problem. Good luck. Wish you all the best. I've had two of these and I've found them to be nice basses

Rob

7. puff father

puff father Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    Try calling Musician's Friend and tell them your story. A friend of mine did that with a new Martin guitar that had a little buzz and some sort of anomaly on the top. M'sF was very good and the guy there told him they had three more (HD28's) there, he would personally check them and send him the nicest one. The one he got back is phenomenal.

Good luck.

:bassist:

8. Chris Breese

Chris Breese Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    Middle of IL USA
    I really would prefer that they make the necks adjustable at the headstock, unless they do the MM wheel adjuster, or put a cavity/allen wrench adjuster.
    Sorry to hear the Geddy didn't work out for you. That really bites..

9. king_biscuit

king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    Doesn't the Geddy adjust from the headstock end? Why would you take the neck off to adjust the truss rod?

10. steve21

steve21 Inactive

1) Return to musiciansfriend and get all your money back
    2) Check out TB for a used Geddy that will come to you by a trusted member of the forum for a lower price or modded to be MUCH better (imo)
    3) ????
    4) Profit!!!

11. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Personally, I love my geddy. I have the action so low I almost have to take a cold shower thinking about it. I said almost ; 0

But yes, the tr is a pain.

12. a didnt know there was such a thing.

13. Evan Ciambrone

Evan Ciambrone

Nov 22, 2006
    This is what it could be. IF the bass was shipped with the strings tight and in tune, and the truss rod already adjusted, then sometimes rough shipping can completely F*** up the trussrod and sometimes even break it because theres already so much tension on the neck, as well as the trouble from shipping it. Send it back and drive to a guitar center that you know has one in stock, just call them to confirm. I think all geddy's suck, and i've played about 4. But apparently Fender is really hit and miss.

14. skywalkerla5

skywalkerla5

Jun 11, 2006
    if i'm thinking right, then i totally got this!! haha, gotta love underpants gnomes :D :D :D

15. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    It's not just Fender, I just bought a Custom Shop Les Paul Last weekend. Fortunately at a store that had more than one of the same model. I played 3. The first one had a warped neck, unadjustable. The second had horrible action, couldn't be adjusted to my satisfaction. The 3rd is one of he best guitars I've ever played.
    There are companies like PRS, Sadowsky, MTD etc. where you can buy off of the web and be assured of what your getting. Gibson and Fender are not 2 of them.
    I also sent a Gibson Tobias back I bought off the web. I know there are good ones out there, I didn't get one of them.

16. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    That really sucks man, hope they fix the problem for you.

17. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    +1

But when you get a good Geddy, they're really good.

Graeme

18. kevs

kevs

Feb 15, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Yes they are. Lucky for me, I was able to try my Geddy out before I laid down the plastic. They had two of them and I was not impressed with the one on the wall. The one in the "back" was a keeper.

19. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    BTW, the Geddy adjusts at the neck pocket as it is an exact copy of Geddy's '72 which I am told is the way Fender did them then.

Ihave never seen the issues you face o any of the Geddy's I have handled....3 of them.

Are you sure the issues you face could not be handled by contacting the people you bought it from?

I think it unfair to post here before actually contacting them and giving them a chance to make it right by you....

And please don't knock an otherwise awesome bass by one example. It is also possible that the bass was never set up correctly.

I also second the go to a local music store, even if one is far away, drive there.

A good rule of thumb, when you buy sight unseen, expect issues ranging from simple set up to what you experienced...or worse.

Hope it all works out for you......

20. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Why not? If these large companies get to where they are letting quality control slip, that's their problem. I'm sure MF will make it right by him and he never said "Geddy Lee's are crummy" he said he got one.
    I live in a place where to get most nice things, I have to use the web. It's good to know things like this.
    This is mild compared to the bashing some other manufacturers have taken around here. Eden, Accugroove, Ampeg, Berhinger ( they stopped the posts on them practically).
    Bottom line is, if you ship a TB'er something bad 1,0000's are going to here about it.