Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

just got a rickenbacker 4003 a few days ago...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by benjamin, Apr 12, 2004.

1. benjamin

benjamin

Apr 12, 2004
    Houston
    its been my dream bass for a year and a half, and i finally got it. and im sad to say it but... i play my squier better. maybe im just not used to the ric yet, but i dont know where to pluck and put my thumb on this thing. on the squier, i would rest my thumb on the pickup while playing E.

any words of advice?

oh, and by the way, hi. im ben, ill prolly be posting here often, i just found this place.

2. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Try taking off the rear pickup cover-and rest your thumb on the metal surround and pluck directly above the pickup.

3. benjamin

benjamin

Apr 12, 2004
    Houston
    i'm getting better at playing it day by day, so ill give it a week or so before i decide to take the pick cover off or not. ive been working on the floating thumb technique, but its just instinct to put that thumb somewhere, you know?

would taking off the pick cover alter the sound? i love its tone, i dont want to mess it up or anything. if i do take it off, should i do it myself or take it somewhere to get it done?

4. Taking off the cover wont change the sound. And if it did, it would be so insignificant it wouldnt matter.

Welcome to the Ric club. IMO, the best basses ever :D

5. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    That's exactly what I do. Take the cover off and pluck right over the pickup. No change in sound whatsoever. My Rick is 24 years old and still going strong!

6. i have one for 2 weeks!

i use very repetitive and fast E licks sometimes.
    i left the cover on. i find resting thumb @ cover and plucking between cover and bridge gives nice sound and is easy to play.

alternative: remove the cover, and make a thumbrest yourself. go to a metal shop and ask them to make a aluminium or whatever 90% plate with a hole on it. place the hole where the cover used to be and voila :)

7. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    The ric is an awkward beast to conquer. I played an Ibanez EDB series before I got my ric, and the first few days were challenging. Once you get used to the overall feel of the instrument, it will be second nature.

8. benjamin

benjamin

Apr 12, 2004
    Houston
    its been about a week now, and im getting used to playing the ric with the cover pretty nicely. i now love the way it plays (and ive always loved everything else).

good to see we have a motorhead fan here, i love the hell outta lemmy.

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If Rics came with a 34" scale with a 1 5/8" nut, I'd be all over them. Until then, P-basses and Rays for me. They've got a sweet sound, but the feel just isn't there.

Congrats on the bass.

10. maybe it doesnt suit you, but the sound.... awwwwww.

why dont you have one custom built?

11. Rickenbacker does not do custom work. They are always about 6 months to a year behind on production of the models they have now as is, there simply isnt time.

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    What he said. And the price tag just isn't worth it. Custom instruments at that price, I'd rather have a Sadowsky.

13. i know that, but there are other luthiers that can build you one, and it shouldn't necessarily cost you thousands of dollars.

14. BTW did you get my PM the other day to your question? I didnt recieve a notice saying you did.
    Sorry for the derail...Back to topic :D