1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just got a Squier Vintage Modified '70s Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by afinalfantasy, Jun 18, 2007.

1. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Inactive

Jan 11, 2006
    It sounds amazing. It blows the hell out of my old Jay Turser. Got it for around 430$ (Canadian) and couldn't be happier. Anyone else have or used this bass? Here's a picture of it with my amp and other bass
    th_89037_DSCN7579_122_612lo.jpg

Hopefully I'll be able to still study for my exams :)

2. Quite a few people have/have played them here, though most of the attention I've seen seems to go to the fretless model. I have the same one you do and love it, though! I posted a review for it on the (surprise!) reviews section... Feel free to chime in with one of your own.

Brian

3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Wow, do they really cost that much up there in Canada? Being that they only cost $270 USD here, I would think they would be more around $300 CAD.

4. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    I got mine last week. It sounds great, but I have the most annoying fret buzz. I can't get the action as low as I want it, so it's gotta go to a tech for a fret levelling or something. Pretty decent bass, but to be honest I was expecting better after reading all the reviews. Maybe I just got a lemon.

5. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    It is if you don't negotiate. The fretless was $429 list in Nova Scotia, and I paid $349 for mine including a pro set up in the shop. I hope that doesn't make the OP feel bad about his bass, it's a nice bass and still worth the price he paid.

6. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Inactive

Jan 11, 2006
    I'm having a bit of trouble with finding a good tone for the bass

I've only played P basses before this. I'm trying to get a Jaco/Victor Wooten tone out of it but don't know what settings to use, both on the bass and my amp. If someone could help me out, it'd be great. Thanks

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Well Victa doesn't play a Jazz so you ain't gonna find that there! Jaco tone is bridge p/u soloed and played down by the bridge p/u.

8. Well, most of Jaco's work was on a fretless, so you'll probably have a tough time getting a good tone to match his on the fretted. Wooten's tone, well, I don't slap much or well, so I can't help you with that... Some help I am lol. I can say that I usually just play it with both pickups and the tone all wide open. I cut down on the treble on my amp just a bit then to take out some of the string noise and "clank." That covers most of what I need. Otherwise, sometimes I use just the neck p'up with the tone rolled off or just the bridge with the tone in various positions, depending on how bright I want it (I usually play closer to the bridge then, too).

Brian

9. Nappa

Nappa

Dec 20, 2006
    Fargo,North Dakota
    The VM Jazz is only $325(USD) here. Maybe its because were close to canada. :rollno: :ninja: :bag:

10. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I'm just thinking of musiciansfriend.com where you can get them for $270 shipped.

11. Nappa

Nappa

Dec 20, 2006
    Fargo,North Dakota
    Oh, well i take lessons at the only music store here so to come in with a bass that i didn't buy from them would make me sad, mainly because they have given me some wonderful deal and lessons.

I'd rather get a VM P-bass, the Jazz neck seems dinky.

12. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Here's a few I use, keeping in mind I run my amp with a fair mid boost at 600 hz.

For a reggae vibe - neck p/up soloed, tone rolled all the way off. Pluck near the fingerboard.

Country - neck p/up, tone rolled halfway off & palm or foam mute the strings to kill the sustain.

Aggressive fingerstyle - bridge soloed, tone open, using the bridge to anchor.

Pick tone - neck on full, bridge rolled back just a tad, tone at 80%.

Edit: I'm also a fan of boosting 1400 hz, it's one of the mid switch settings on a blue-line SVT. You need to roll some more bass in to the eq, but it makes for a great rock tone.

13. black lake

black lake Guest

Apr 3, 2006
    Ontario, Canada
    Congrats on the new bass. I just picked up the Vintage Modified fretless (Jaco clone). After some sheilding, rewiring to get rid of the ground loops, and some time spent on set up, I have to admit it plays as good as any Fender I have ever played. So good that I have ordered a set of Ultra Jazzes and some pots, capacitors, et al to take its sound to the next level. I figure by the time I am done I will have spent less than a MIM, but have an excellent sounding bass. IMHO these VM basses are diamonds in the rough. The construction in every one that I have played in the last few months all seem flawless, and the finish just blows my mind.

14. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    This is where I disagree. My bass isn't flawless, but it's passable. There's a chunk of wood missing from the neck pocket, for starters. It's easy to see when you look at the front of the bass, it looks like the pocket hasn't been cut as straight as it should have been. There are also blemishes in the clear coat, and high frets which cause buzz. Unfortunately I can't send it back, I bought it outside the country, but I can live with it.

15. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    $270, no case.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021