Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just got a standard 5string Warwick Corvette, how do i keep it in shape?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DraVenSF, Jan 28, 2006.

1. I was wondering how do i keep this bass looking fresh and new? For those of you who own Warwicks out there, what wax do you use? Different waxes or oils to use on the neck, body, headstock..etc? or same one? things I should avoid?

thanks in advance for helping out a bassist new to the "$1000+ bass" ownership...lol i want to do everything to keep it in a good shape.

2. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Didn't you get some wax that came whith your Bass? You were suppose to. If you didn't, call the place you got it and ask them where it is.
    Then wax the body once a week for a few weeks, once you get a good seal, once a month or less will do. I use Dr. Duck Ax Wax on the neck, but not very often. I don't wax my Infinity as much as I should. My other 2 don't need it.

You were suppose to get a truss rod tool, strap locks and a can of wax. It comes w/ all of them.

3. You should wax the body of the bass monthly with the Warwick bee's wax that has been supplied with your bass.

Im not sure whether you need to wax the neck or not, but it can't do it any harm at all.

Just treat it with basic respect, keep your hands clean before/when you're playing your bass etc....

You should avoid keeping the bass in places of high temp, and avoid exposing the bass to direct sunlight.

Hope this helps.

4. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    A quick Q: what alternatives are there to the Warwick wax? I bought 2nd hand, so I have none.

5. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I use Smith Classic Wax Polish on my Thumb.

It works great!

(I bought it from Bass NW)

[​IMG]

:D

Joe.

6. Hey guys, I just got a Warwick Thumb in January and have been applying the Warwick Wax every week for the last 5 weeks and apply GHS Fast Fret to the fingerboard aswell.

The can of wax says to apply the wax once per week...so I've been doing so religiously.

Should I slow it down to once per month? And how do I know when to tailor it back to only once per month?

Also, I read in the manual that you have to clean the brass frets...What's a good cleaner for frets. I'm so worried to mess around with brushes. What do you guys use?

Thanks,
    Chris

7. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Yes you can now only wax it monthly.
    The neck should also be waxed but with a lighter coat of wax.
    For the fingerboard some very light apply of a good lem oil one or two times a year should be OK. Apply it lightly, then wait a few minutes so that the wood can be penetrated and then weep it off with some absorbing paper.

For cleaning frets, use some synthetic steelwool (triple x i think). Be gentle and try not to touch fingerboard wood.

Good luck and don't forget that oil finished Warwick will need a bit more care than high glass finished bass. Be gentle with your bass and will be gentle with you !
    :)
    :)

Sheers

8. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    So, it seems that any wax based on beeswax designed for oiled timber should do the trick then - time to scope out my local hardware stores. I have mild OCD (which made all the menial chores in the army like polishing your brass & boots etc quite enjoyable) and it's starting to take effect ;)

9. jimb213

jimb213

Nov 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    It's been my experience that the wax that came with my thumb will clean up the frets nicely. I wax the fingerboard when I change the strings, once every month and a half, maybe. I apply it with my waxing t-shirt, give it a couple minutes, then wipe it down with a clean part of the shirt. I usually have to scrub the frets a little bit, but it works great. I personally wouldn't trust myself with any kind of abrasive scrubber around my bass; I'd be too afraid of messing up the fingerboard.

10. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    For the neck/fingerboard, I like Gerlitz Guitar Honey myself.

11. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    You can usually get a can of beeswax from GC, they'll just give it to you most times.