Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just Got a Steinberger Spirit

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rogerbmiller, Mar 21, 2005.

1. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    So I used to own a Cheeseburger XP-2 back in the day. Last week, I was surfing music-yo at night. On impulse and out of pure nostalgia I ordered myself a new Spirit. However I did not get the XP equivalent. Rather, I got the XZ with with detuner, which I figured would be a reaosnable substitute for the Kubicki Ex-Factor I can never seem to find at a reasonable price.

Anyway, I have to say I am impressed by the Spirit. It plays great (better than I remember my 'Berger playing actually) and sounds great too. And that detuner is really cool.

I was a little worried about the quality of the bass given the wood neck, and it's a bolt-on no less. But no problems at all-- overall this thing is well made, responsive and looks pretty good. I am hoping for this to make a good travel bass and possibly more. Though I wonder how people would react to a headless bass at a gig in this day and age.

Anyway, I have no idea how many of these are made or bought each year, but they don't come up on ebay or here on the classifieds much and musicyo has such great prices...

2. I've been looking into getting an OLDER Steinberger.... So it's good to hear a positive response about their newer models....
    Congrats on the new bass!! :bassist:

3. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.

4. I just received one of the XZ-DBs as well, and was completely blown away by it, too! I have the boat-oar XT-25 5-string that I had been using in my funk band, but I felt that I really needed to move down to a four-banger to really "funk out."

Anyway, got the XZ last Wednesday and could not believe how good the neck feels and plays. Plus, I was surprised how little the body really was. Definitely the best value for the buck.

BTW: I also own an early L-2, and have orders placed for the new Synapse line...

5. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Wow, you like your Bergers. Good show.

Yeah, the XZ DB is a value but the regular DB at $229 is a STEAL!

6. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Your post pushed me to pull my XZ-2 back out. I recently converted it to a DB (bought an XZ-2db on ebay, swapped bridges, resold the now plain XZ-2). I've been experimenting with various ways to get the positioning how I want it. My latest attempt is moving the rear strap button onto the back of the body about in the middle from neck-to-bridge (near the top of the body). I keep thinking if I can get it to where it's totally comfortable for me I might just have to pick up another and try some electronics mods.

It's just "fun" to play. It's not as well-made/solid as my US-made basses but the smaller size and lower weight just make it so easy to strap on and play. Neither my bandmates or audiences have said much of anything about its appearance (other than maybe an "80s flashback" comment or two).

I find the sound to be quite usable. Sure it's not an expensive instrument but my bandmates and the audiences where we've played (when I've used it) all seemed happy with the sound. I enjoy some of the sounds I can get out of it although I do want to get some better strings (I'm still using the cheapy MusicYo ones), swap out the pots and maybe try some other pickups (Rio Grande Pitbulls come to mind).

I just repositioned the strap button again this morning and will give it a weeks tryout. If this gets it to the "full comfort" level I'll be shopping the sale before the end of the month. I'm just kinda bummed that they are out of white in the plain XZ-2 (what can I say, I like white basses even though that would be a "totally 80s" look). Then again if the strap button positioning works I may know where to find an US XM-2 for a bit more . . .

7. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Google for a pic of the back of the Chapman/Steinberger NS Stick and add an extension bar for the 'neck' position strap pin similar to what they have. You can size it so it gives perfect balance for you and it'll only cost a dollar or two.
    I use an L shaped bracket made from aluminium bar that extends the neck pin to near the 12th fret, and the bottom pin to up near the neck pickup that brings that pin to just above the line of the body. Positions the neck at about 1:30 (where I like it), balances beautifully and the bracket dimensions and position were determined by some experimenting with the bracket and some gaffer/duct tape.
    No pics sorry.

8. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Hmmm, found some decent pics at http://www.nsstickist.com in their gallery.

Looks like Rick Turner's "dingus" for the Renaissance, or ASATMAN's G&L ASAT strap extension or the strap extension on the Synapse (for folks familiar with one of those).

I may have to try that as well. The XZ is the "normal bodied" one so it doesn't lend itself quite as much to that technique (IMO) as the XT small-bodied version. I did try extending the upper horn with a wood piece attached to the back and while it could position things better for me the wood was too thick for an overall comfortable solution (a metal plate would definitely be better in this regard).

Do you have pictures of your modification? It sounds like you did something more along the lines of the original XL banana-shaped pivot plate since you moved up the rear strap button as well. I'll have to run by Lowes on the way home and see what they've got for metal shelf brackets that might work as an extender or pivot-plate equivalent (this XZ has been abused by me so trying out some other ideas is just fine).

9. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    No pix due to no camera at the moment.
    Dimensioning of the bracket is similar to and influenced by my old XL2's pivot plate. I originally wanted to make a clone of this but I tend to use the bass in only one position, so the bracket was easier and simpler.
    Even though the XZ has the fuller body a similar bracket might still work, depending on where you like to position it on your body etc. The bracket I used is similar to a shelf bracket available from hardware stores, but is Al and I got it from an industrial supplier for another use and found it in my workshop. Acrylic/perspex sheet cut and shaped to size also works well.

10. i wonder
    are these Spirit XZ steinbergers versatile instrument?
    or they sound too modern as i've heard?

i'm wondering cause maple bodies are known for being too bright... so maybe with other pickups it will keep sounding bright....

i'm interested in one of the cheap 5 strings.
    have anyone, by the way, tried the low b on these basses?

thanks