1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Just got a Sunn Concert Lead stack, can I use for bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alaskaleftybass, Aug 12, 2012.

1. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Hi all,
    I just got a Sunn Concert Lead 410 stack, 100 watt head. It has two channels. I do both solo acts on guitar and play bass in several bands. I wonder, could I modify the 410 cabinet, close it and port it, replace the guitar speakers with bass speakers and a tweeter, and use both channels, one for guitar or one for bass? Not both at once, of course. The cabinet is open backed and acually the whole half stack is in excellent condition for its age! It sat in a dry garage for 25 years!

Thanks for any advice.... :bassist:

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Chris Squire has used them. :cool:

Check it out at 2:24.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The amp, absolutely; the cabinet, better off leaving it alone and using it only for guitar.

Semi recently, under Fender's care, Sunn branded 4x10 bass cabinets (with tweeters) were offered. The tolex is very similar (if not the same) as the Sunn amps of the '70s and they can be had at a reasonable price on the used market.

To Jeff Scott's comment, Squire used a Coliseum Lead amp, not the Concert Lead amp. And, IIRC, he used Sunn 6x12 guitar cabinets with it. However, the cabinet in the video looks like a Fender Bassman 50 2x15 cabinet as Fender didn't make any 4x10 stand-alone bass cabinets back then.

4. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

The amp you can use for bass. The cab, without serious and costly modifications, probably not a good idea. Just get another cab for use with bass.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Here's one at a GC in Long Island City, NY

Used Sunn 4x10 bass cabinet

Shipping in the Continental US is $40.85

6. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    You are correct, of course. I have used Concert series Sunn amps, must have confused myself with Chris! :D