Just got an AC for my workshop

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Jul 19, 2005.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Central Florida July 12' X 16' metal shed in the back yard. :help: This morning at 9:30 I was dripping sweat onto a neck I was shaping the back of. :mad: My plan was to work all day. :( I gave up. Off to Lowes I just put the AC in now I am dodging a thunderstorm to get back out there. Crazy!
  2. Fasoldt Basses

Fasoldt Basses

Mar 22, 2005
    Stevens Point, WI
    Karl Thompson, Builder (Formerly Fat Karl)
    Good work.:D

I'm just getting back out to the shop today for the first time since May. Wisconsin can be a little bit warm this time of year too.:spit:
  3. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    I've been using an "industrial" fan to keep myself cool. My shop is my garage, and this past week it's been up to 115 in there. No good, espeically when you're doing oil finishing: I got a tiny drip of sweat on my headstock and had to start over :scowl:

Air conditioner time...
  4. It's been in the 90s the past few days. I am a hermit.

A crapper would be nice, also. :D
  5. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I put one in my garage, but it is small, and needs to run 24/7 to have an effect. If you work in front of it, it's fine, but if you step out of the "Comfort Cone", you melt. It does help with the ridiculous humidity, though- the Amazon Basin ain't got nothin' on Southeast Texas Coast!!! I got it thinking I would set up shop in the garage, but I think I may invest in a REALLY BIG one to cool/dehumidify the shop. I got this 6000 BTU thinking that it might help, and it does...a little. But I think I might have to go for a 24,000 BTU one to be cool. Or at least a 12,000. I have approximately 412 square feet to cool. But the garage doors have gaps, so some of it will of course get out. But I can be out there for at least 10 minutes now without turning into a puddle!
  6. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    This is where having a basement shop pays off! It's been over 100 for the last week or so, the shop doesn't get over 80. Problem is I have to constantly run a dehumidifier to keep things around 47%rh.
  7. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Wimps! :D ;) I'm in the same geographical region as Bassic. My shop is too big to install AC. It would cost a stinkin' fortune. I sweat it out. I love it. It's like a sauna in there. Can't wait for August! :hyper:
  8. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    My shop is the unfinished basement of my house. By "unfinished," I mean it's partially complete. Half the floor is concrete, the other is bare earth. It floods a little in heavy rain, and the air is damp like you won't believe. Sandpaper sheets curl overnight if left out, and my tools are rusting ($14 file/rasp - GONE! Stupid iron oxide...). Don't freak, though. I bring my work inside when I'm done for the day. It's also spider-infested, and spiders just creep me out. So, as soon as I get the money, I'm going to seal off the finished portion, seal the exterior walls, set off a few bug bombs, and buy new tools.

But as for an AC, I don't need one. Being underground, my workshop stays a nice 68 degrees year-round. :smug: