Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just got an AccuGroove

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stingray4Christ, Aug 30, 2003.

1. Stingray4Christ

Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    NY
    I picked up an El Whappo this weekend and they're every bit as awesome as the claims. Try one out if you get the chance. Simply amazing cabinets!

2. I will hopefully try one in a few weeks.

What are you using to power it?

Congrats, by the way.

Geoff

3. Stingray4Christ

Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    NY
    I'm upgrading my rig piece by piece as I can afford too. Right now I'm running this cabinet with an Ampeg SVT 350, with the EQ completely flat.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have had a chance to hear the Tri 208, Mini Whappo, and Whappo, Jr. All of these cabs really impressed me, and I am considering a Whappo, Jr. to use at my bigger gigs. Did you have a chance to A/B the El Whappo with the Whappo, Jr.? I do like to be able to get very loud (when need be - and keep it at more moderate levels when I can), but I only use a 5-string on 15% or so of our tunes. I was thinking that the Whappo, Jr. would probably do the trick, and would be easier to lug. Plus, if I started playing on the low B a lot more, I could always add a Gordo.

So, if you had a chance to compare, how did the El Whappo and the Whappo, Jr. compare?

Thanks, and congrats! I am officially Jonesing!

Tom.

5. Stingray4Christ

Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    NY
    I didn't try out the Whappo Jr. even though they had one. I went straight for the big guns haha. I've spoken to some other AccuGroovers and they all seem to agree that the Jr is a very low B capable enclosure, the Whappo just has even MORE booty. The Quad and Tri series cabinets are designed to be full range cabinets. You shouldn't have any problems with a B.

6. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Thanks for the reply. How hard it is to lug that El Whappo around? I have to go up and down the steps from my basement for each gig, and I'm on my own, so weight is an issue. Granted, I'm a fairly big guy, but I got tired of lugging my Boogie 4x10 down the steps after playing a whole show (and having a few adult beverages!).

As Mark told me, I would probably be fine with a Whappo, Jr. - so long as I never listen to an El Whappo!

Later, Tom.

7. Stingray4Christ

Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    NY
    The Whappo is a bit of a handful for me, then again I'm a scrawny little dude haha. It's a little over 90 lbs, a bit bigger than some 4X10's. The handles really help though, they're recessed making it much easier to move than the spring loaded type (a la SWR). If portability is a big issue you'll prolly lean more towards the Jr.(Personally I think the sound of the Whappo is worth the extra effort but I'm biased:D )

8. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Other than being a deeper sounding cab, how does the sound compare (have you heard;) )?

Tom.