1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just got an Aguilar Filter Twin

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Hans Gruber, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    So I just picked up an Aguilar Filter Twin. I've found very little information on this pedal compared to other filters on this forum. I tried one at Bass Player Live and loved it and took a shot at it.

I was only able to test it with headphones as it was late in my 2nd floor apartment. I also have a 3Leaf Groove Regulator.

Both are great solid pedals.

Here's my observation on the Filter Twin so far:

If you're familiar with the Aguilar sound at all, it actually has a voicing like it. Nice thick lows. The GR feels a bit "thinner" (though it's not thin, just compared to the FT). The GR has more wetness and a wider range to give it a more "authentic" filter sound.

In a band context however, I've found that the GR can get a bit "lost". It seems like Aguilar has slightly more gain (and even a little pleasing harmonic distortion) and when you blend certain filters, it gives it a more articulate low-end boost. Hence, it may be more usable for gigs outside of funk or what have you. It's capable for a traditional filter sound but it has other voicings that are subtle but still effected. It's less wild, but still has enough of that wildness. My hypothesis is that it'd work really well in a band setting.

It sounds great on its own, but when you A/B it with the GR, you can really notice that the range isn't quite as wide, especially in the upper end. Again, it's still funky and wet enough to me.

And remember, all this through headphones. Take with a grain of salt.

2. Oh man, thanks for the review. I'm not really a filter guy, but I have been eye-ballig these two alot recently.

3. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    IIRC, the Aguilar demo vid was just slap, the whole time, which drove me nuts. Fingerstyle clips would be great. ;)

4. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Hmm, check it again. Most were fingerstyle. I used it to see the settings they had. The Paul Turner ones in particular were really useful.

5. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    The original demo vid was all slap, didn't know they had all these clips up. Thanks.

6. Do you know if the FT has a Low-Pass, Band-Pass or High-Pass filter?

7. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    That's a good question. I don't know the technical details. I suppose I can ask the company since they're pretty accessible. Still, it's the fattest sounding filter I've heard. I'm gonna guess low-pass.

8. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    And it is low-pass indeed.

9. Thanks, they should put it on their website, pretty vital information.

10. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I personally don't care what kind of filter it is as long as it sounds good. And I think it sounds pretty darn good.

It may not be as wet as a Q-Tron or what not, but most of my music doesn't require Bootsy-isms. In that sense, this pedal works for some many other applications.

11. fasto

fasto

Mar 4, 2007
    Amsterdam, NL
    audio clips or it didn´t happen :D

12. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    The website's clips are very accurate. I think the quality of those are better than what I can produce anyway. I've only got a fretless right now anyway, so it's not gonna be the most accurate representation of most of you guys.

13. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I really want the new MXR Bass Envelope Filter.

14. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    That's awesome.