Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just got an Ashdown 500...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rickenbackerman, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Man, this thing rules. Being primarily a tube guy, this is the first solid state amp I've ever owned that has the sound. And power? All I can say is holy s**t. I think it would outgun my old navigator/mackie 1400 setup.

It sounds phenomenal. I have to roll the lows off quite a bit since my Eden 410's tend to choke up in small rooms in the 50-80Hz and down area. I would describe the sound as 50% acoustic 360, 25% SVT and 25% eden. The overdrive isn't really all that noticeable, it just helps to fatten up the sound. Even the SS side is plenty fat in it's own right! Me like...

Thanks to spike for his input on this amp. The Mesa 400+ will be gone shortly, I like this one much better... :)

2. i'm interested in getting an ashdown, how much did you pay for it?

3. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    I got the chrome rackmount 500-RC, it was 1099 from bassNW.

4. is mesa good?

is mesa good?

Oct 9, 2001
    if you are serious about selling your 400+ let me know on the price. thanks patrick.

5. Glad (and relieved :)) you're pleased with it. My 400+ didn't stay too long after I got mine. Both great amps, but IMO the ABM500 has the edge.