Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

just got an eden, now i've got some ?s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ubersam, Apr 8, 2001.

1. ubersam

ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    L.A.
    I just got the Eden WT-600, used. Looks, and sounds, to be in good shape. I have a couple of questions particularly for, but definitely not limited to, those with more experience with eden than I do. According to the manual, the "Set Level" light should "wink at the peaks". would it harm the amp any if the gain is set such that the "Set Level" light is consistently on while playing? My second question is about speaker cabs. For the time being, I'll be playing through a borrowed Eden D-210T [not the XLT]. I'm aware that I'll have to watch my volume since the cab only handles 250watts. I'm not completely sold on Eden cabs as of current. I was actually considering the ACME Low-B Series 2, or if I had more $$ the Epifani T-212. Anyone have anything good, or bad, things to say about these 2 choices? Any other cab suggestions? Transportability is an issue, I'm not a very large man and neither is my car's trunk.

2. I have a WT-300 and a pair of D-210Ts. The key is that these cabs have an enormous amount of low midrange to them. They're not "hi-fi" at all; they're designed to cut through the mix. They're also much more efficient than Acmes.

3. I also have a WT-300 and a pair of 2x10t's and I love this set up because it's portable, it sounds fantastic and is versatile enough to cover most gigs. I'm also a fan of moderate stage volumes and allowing the PA to do the work.

4. ubersam

ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    L.A.
    thanks for the responses guys. i have heard that the ACME cabs are ineffecient, they need more power than other cabs. i might just stick with the 210t for a while and get a better feel for eden cabs, maybe i'll know more of what i'm looking for. i really want to try the ACMEs though, because of all the positive stuff i've read about them. but they're somewhat like carvin, in a sense that one will have to buy the product directly from them. there are no stores where they could be tried out. i'm kicking myself in the butt, a couple of weeks ago i saw an used ACME low-b series 2 being sold on the www.recycler.com for $250. i didn't jump on it right away and a day or 2 later it was sold. well, if anybody else has any input to add, feel free.

5. I don't think you will harm the amp, but you are running the preamp into distortion. This condition will rob you of headroom and tone. I have a Navigator & WT1000, but I had a WT800. It has the same pre amp, I believe. I run it like the manual says.
    You have a stereo amp. I would stay away from the Acme B2 (I use one, but I'm pumping 450watts into it), and add a 4 ohm 1-15. The WT600 has a crossover, so you can really get a Hi-Fi sound, or run them full range and use the balance for tweaking.The D-210 will be great for cutting, and the 1-15 for bottom end coverage.

6. ubersam

ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    L.A.
    thanks for the tip on the light Rockbobmel. i had been thinking about sticking with eden cabs. i just saw a used 210T for $250. i'll be inquiring about that, hopefully it hasn't sold yet.

7. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Nothing wrong with Acme and especially Epifani but don't dismiss Eden until you'll auditioned the XLT models. The bottom on the XLT's are significantly improved because of the extra porting. I'm a 410XLT guy and I can't imaging ever trading this cab in.

8. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Oh yeah... the amp...sorry. It sure won't hurt your amp but as RBM said, you will suck up some headroom and your tone will be a little more "gritty" than clean but that may well be exactly what you're looking for.
    I've got an Eden WT-500 and when I want some extra "grit" I boost the gain and cut the volume.When I want more clean I boost the volume and cut the gain.

9. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I recently auditioned an Eden 410-XLT, an Epifani 310 and a Bergantino 310. My purchase ended up being the Eden. IMO, the Eden clearly outperformed the Epifani which was being sold for the same price. The Bergantino sounded fantastic, but was another $150.

I've owned Eden cabs for about 4 years now, and they're just plain good.

Bones

10. I heard the D-410XLT was great, but I never heard one live. I would not dismiss a D-115XLT, and you can probably get one for about $200. less than the 4-10. Why would you want another of the same D-210? I don't think it would compliment the setup as well, but try them both.
    Bob M.

11. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I've discovered that the 210XLT, when paired with a D15, is a killer combination with my WT400. Great blend of top and bottom. Soon, I intend to match the D15 up with a 410XLT for larger rooms.

12. ubersam

ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    L.A.
    Well, the one I'm currently using is borrowed & I'm not sure how long I have access to it. The person I bought the amp from had a 410 & a 115 and it sounded great. The 410 just seemed to much for me to transport. So it'll be the 210 for now and maybe a the 115 later on.

It seems like everytime I come here I get serious GAS. First it was amps, now cabs, maybe later on more basses.

DaveB, thanks for the pointer on the lights. It's good to know that I can have the "grit" when I want it.

13. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA