Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just got an Ibanez SR800

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Minger, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Erm, just got the box in today, as soon as I got it I opened it up, and was like holy crap. I mean, according to the serial number, it was made in like '94 or something, but this thing is pretty...and no scratches. The guy on ebay said they only played for a year and its been in its case for 12 years - I guess it shows, considering the bits of rust on the strings and some on the upper frets.

After that, I realized...I was supposed to leave it in to adjust to the humidity, so I felt pretty stupid...gotta love how my house is so dry though. So when I do open it back up again, throwing some lemon oil on there and some strings...probably elixirs.

I'll take pics later, but for the moment, does anyone know how to get rid of the stuff thats gotten on the frets? I guess its kinda like the junk that gets on pennies - its blueish.

That and no scratches or anything - might as well be mint! Not bad for 190 on ebay shipped...impulse buying sucks.

2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Take off the strings and try wiping the frets down with anything. That alone should remove a lot of the crud.

3. hamertek98

hamertek98

Apr 3, 2004
    Indiana
    Congrats on the new to you bass! I had one of those years ago and it played good.

For the fret tarnish I'd suggest getting a jewlers polishing cloth from a local jewlery store. They cost anywhere from 5-10 bucks. It'll be dark on one side (rouge?) and kinda yellow on the other. Mask off your frets with blue painters masking tape (leaves less gunk when you remove it). Use the chemically treated (dark side) of the cloth to rub off the tarnish and then buff with the lighter side. It might take awhile depending on how bad the frets are. The cloth is safe for nickle and stainless, etc.

Once your done they should look like new. If you have a small dremel like tool, you can use one of the SOFT buffing wheels to assist. Just don't keep it in one place too long.

The jewelers cloth is about the cheapest way I know, and one of the better tips I've gotten. Try not to get any on the paint... and I'd use it on the frets only, just in case it's not safe for other plated metals. It should have a paper with the cloth that says what it's safe for. made some of my frets look better than I can remember. Sorry so long, and I hope it helps.

4. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    thanks for the tip. Heres some pics...I just put lemon oil on it (been experimenting with my instruments to see much amoung wise to put on, and this on e i've had about a drop per 2 frets or so....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Gunk!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So pretty. Now I have 2 green basses...
    [​IMG]

5. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    nice! make that two green Ibanez basses :) . kinda like my Carvin. aside from some makes around the fretboard (that i think came from the factory... and maybe some from wear and tear) mine was almost in perfect shape aside from the little swirlies. made sometime between '95 and '97.

6. Cowboy Pope

Cowboy Pope

Nov 17, 2005
    Oh you lucky lucky man. Due to their rarity and overall prettiness, I've always wanted a green bass, and I swear by Ibanez anyway. Good score!

7. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Hehe.

What can I say? I love green. The other one was my first bass, got on ebay for 192 and then the guy shipped it...a month late. But with that came 20 refunded and a HSC instead of a gig bag...

Anyways, slightly annoyed right now because my passive instruments work fine with a stereo cable, but my Ibanez's don't want to...guess this means I need to get another real cable, as I've been going on a bunch of instruments with only one instrument cable so far :p

On the other hand, I was kind of disappointed that I didn't get htis a while back - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7388907085&ssPageName=STRK:MEDW:IT - Just more than I wanted to pay.

Which kinda makes me happy the seller didn't know the model number, but I asked a few questions and found out...

8. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Just plugged it an and played for a little bit. This thing is pretty freakin versitile...right now, the only thing I can say bad is that its got the smell of the case :p and the bass knob might be overkill - I mean, if I turn it up all the way, its like extremely just...bass. The mid sweep is pretty cool...although if I turn the low mids up all the way, it sounds kinda weird, kinda like its goin through one of my phasers...

Anyways, the EQ knobs provide a lot more drastic of a change than on my RB800...

Anyways, I'm happy with my money spent, now I just need to sell my SX. Parents aren't happy with me having 3 basses...

9. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Those are nice basses. Enjoy!