Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just got an RBI....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cb56, Jan 11, 2006.

1. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    ....and I must say I am impressed. Easier for me to get "my tone" from it than from my Ampeg SVPCL preamp :meh:
    easier to use tone controls also. I never was a big fan of all those pre shape eq controls Ampeg (and others) stick you with anyway. Seems like I'm always fighting them. My old SVT200T was the best as far as tone controls and ease of use. Sounded great with everything set at 12 O'clock. Same thing with the sansamp RBI. Can't wait to gig with it next saturday.

2. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    I also switched from an Ampeg pre to an RBI.

Wait til you hear it through a PA or on a track...

3. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    when you run through a pa do you send the effected or non effected signal to the board?

4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    congratulations!

The most common problem, not that your complaining, is overuse of the "presence" control especially with poorly shielded guitars in "noisey" rooms, i.e. neon or fluorecent lights.

besides that I think its very flexible, not perfect, but cost effective tone. I used mine to warm up my swr bass 350 until I got the money together for the stewart.

5. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    depends what sounds better with the main speakers. if you dial it up thick for on stage, that might not bee what the room needs. but I do think I send wet "sansamp" but I'm 10 drive, 9 presence, 12 on bass, 2 mid, 2 treble.

6. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005

both if possible, gives the FOH guy more options to blend from the desk! :hyper:

7. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I think I'll just send the non effected signal to the board since that's what soundmen usually like.
    Just in the couple hours I played with it I got a bunch of usable tones but what I found as my favorite was Drive 12, presence 11, Blend 1, Bass 1,
    mid 11, treble 12. My bass is active with EMG Hz's that are pretty bright sounding. I back off the bridge pickup which adds in alot of midrange growl.
    I noticed that moving the knobs just a little changes the tone alot. Unlike my Ampeg which you really have to crank the knob to notice a difference. BTW I just put the Ampeg up for sale.

8. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Good idea!

9. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    I always send the "effected" signal to the board. I really don't do anything with the uneffected outs except use it as a tuner send.

Keep it at about 12 o'clock with the blend and presence knobs. This pre sounds killer through a PA.

10. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    if he only wants one I give him "affected" gramatically it is "affected" because "effected" is a noun.

11. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I loved mine. Just prefer the Kern a tad more. If I ever come across a good used one, I just might snag it for a backup.

12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

My Read Purity is in the same general category as your Kern: it can be amazingly transparent. The RBI is a different animal in that it colors your tone. I'm keeping both my Read and my RBI for variety's sake.

Note: a very cool feature of the RBI is the rear input. In my #1 rack, I run my Read into my RBI, and the RBI into my Stewart 2.1 power amp. This way I have a couple of options: plug into the Read, and use the Active switch on the RBI to either activate or bypass the tube emulation. Or, I can plug into the front input of the RBI... that defeats the rear input, so in this case I'm using the RBI alone, no Read.

13. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    I started gigging with the BDDI, so when I switched to a rack system the RBI was the logical choice. Blend to full SansAmp, Drive 12, Presence 10, Bass 1:30, Mid 12, Treble 12. That's for a Warwick Thumb 4 BO. My old NS-4 sounded good with Presence 12 and a touch more treble.

Soundguys are amazed at how good it sounds, and are big fans of my flat(ish) EQ. Still so many bass players scooping the bejeezus out of their mids in my local scene ;)

14. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Could someone explain what the Presence exactly is? I usually set mine pretty low, somewhere around 9 oclock.

15. Very cool cb,I've wondered about trying an Ampeg pre but I like my RBI so much I've never come close to selling it.I run effected to the board at big jobs and have heard no complaints from the soundmen.With my SX Jazz 5 I run the drive at 11 and with my Guild Pilot 5 with Ultra Jazzes I run the drive at 1.The SX pickups are much hotter than the Dimarzios.Blend at 1,Presence at 2,bass 2,mid 2,treble 12 for both basses.I play fingerstyle so I boost the mids some to bite through.The ex bassplayer from my band sits in for a set once in a while with his old P bass and he plays very hard with a pick.For him I have to turn the blend all the way up,drive at 10,presence 9,bass 3,mid 10 and treble 12.When he tried my rig the first time he said it sounded like a Ric so he wanted the treble to go away.I guess I'm lucky I haven't tried the Demeters,Read.Aguilars and other high end tube pre's because I have O-gas for them.Congrats.

16. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I've always gotten quite a bit of extra noise and hiss when I ran into two pre's like that...not a problem with your setup?

17. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    You know I originally wrote affected, then changed it when I looked at the back of the pre amp and it said effected:meh:

18. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    To my ears, it extends the mids

19. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    hmmmm, well i might be fighting myself then because i usually boost my mids to around 3 o'clock.

20. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The Presence control is boost-only. Even if it wasn't, Presence is definitely voiced differently than Midrange. So, you're not fighting yourself. :)

Presence seems to boost high mids/low treble... to my ears, it sounds close to the 3kHz control on the old SVT amps. The RBI Treble is voiced higher... 5kHz, I'm guessing.