1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

just got an SB-2

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by mellofello, Dec 30, 2006.

1. mellofello

mellofello

Mar 10, 2006
    :hyper: ebay - $501 + $25. i thought it was a good deal, what do y'all think. Just got it today, it's my third bass. The first was a Squier Affinity P-bass, the second a Peavey Fury II. So it's my first 'real' bass. And it is awesome ! I followed some advice on here and found the sweet spot about 80% front pickup, 40% rear pickup. Then if I want to take out the brightness I just cut back the front pickup a little. My peavey had a three band active EQ, but so far I certainly don't miss it. Thanks G&L, thanks for the advice from this forum, and thank you Leo, wherever you are.

p.s.- no disrespect to Peavey meant, I love their stuff, and I'm sure their higher end American made basses are great.:hyper:

Attached Files:

• SB-2.
      SB-2.jpg
      File size:
      15.4 KB
      Views:
  2. A Metallic Gold SB-2? For $500?

I'd say you did very well indeed!

Welcome to Villa de la Monsterbasso.

3. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    Nice steal!

4. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    sweet bass.

5. mellofello

mellofello

Mar 10, 2006
    thnx, sorry to gloat, can't help it. Got to hear it with my band this weekend, n it was kickin'. We cover lot's o ground.
    Stones, Mettalica, Chili Peppers, Blink 182, Pearl Jam, The Beatles, etc.... It took a little while to recalibrate the settings on my modeling processor, but it definately will work for all.................of course ............... if I had a 2000 I'm sure I would pick it up for a tune or two..........lol

6. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    That's a sweet one! I'm currently GAS'n for an SB2.
    I have an ASAT & it seems that those MFDs have a tendency to overpower outboard effects/stomp boxes and the like. To my ears they sound better plugged straight in...

Anyway, nice bass & welcome to the club!

7. mellofello

mellofello

Mar 10, 2006
    well, my super deal isn't so super, I went to set up the neck and the truss rod is rounded out. and the neck is slightly warped as well as needing tightened. I guess that's the risk of ebay. If anyone has a suitable replacement, let me know.

8. quickervicar

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    The neck might be able to be salvaged. Stew-Mac just came out with a repair kit for stripped truss nuts. (I know, I sound like a commercial for them lately)

9. mellofello

mellofello

Mar 10, 2006
    thanks, i'll look into that

10. "Warped" in what way, exactly?

11. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Any luck in getting it repaired?

12. mellofello

mellofello

Mar 10, 2006
    it's warped like it is very slightly twisted. I've had it in the case with humidifiers and it does seem to be helping but the bottom line is I can't adjust the truss rod. The expensive options are to send it to G&L for a new neck or send it to Moses for a graphite neck. It really is a great sounding bass and I've kind of gotten fond of the gold flake finish. I guess the graphite would pretty much insure no future problems. Otherwise I could ebay it (with an honest explanation of the problem of course) or try to come up with another neck.

13. BIGBEE

BIGBEE

May 27, 2006
    hi does it have the bullet truss rod, if so you could grind a slot in the tip and just use a screwdriver to adjust it it might work and its a lot cheaper then a new neck, good luck steve.

14. quickervicar

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    Now there's a thought...

15. Joe Bass

Joe Bass

Jan 28, 2007
    Those necks can usually be leveled out and perhaps they can replace the nut part . I would call costomer service .There great there and the new repair tech Chris is a wiz with bad necks !

16. mellofello

mellofello

Mar 10, 2006
    well, I picked up a Tribute L-2000 neck off ebay today for $50, so hopefully I can make that work. If any of u guys see some freak playing a goldflake SB-2 that says tribute L-2000 on the headstock it will prolly be me. LOL. Not sure if it will need to be routed. The L-2000 is a slightly wider neck, correct ?

17. quickervicar

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    Nice grab! Can't speak for the Tributes, but IIRC all USA 4-string pockets are routed to the same dimensions.

18. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    While we're on this neck replacement issue . . . would a Fender type neck from USACG or Warmoth or maybe a Status neck fit a G&L? Or would this be some major fiasco?

I'm asking b/c I'm thinking of trying to pick something up cheap on the bay and figuring there's a good chance there might be some neck issue(s) if it's cheap on the bay and thought that a nice replacement neck would fix it up with relatively little headache.

19. BIGBEE

BIGBEE

May 27, 2006
    hi big headache you wont be able to fit any other neck without routing the bass, a no no (IMO) also number of frets is an issue , i do belive moses makes
    a neck that might fit although they are not cheap, hope this helps, good luck steve.

20. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I just checked and the Moses necks are a bit pricey. For that amount I could just order a new SB-2 for not much more (if I factor in the cost of the bass, the new neck, installation-- if I can't do it myself). That's what I love about TB . . . it quickly gets rid of most delusional thoughts. Most but not all. :)