Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just got an SWR IOD

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jsonnenblick, Nov 24, 2002.

1. Picked one up yesterday via a trade with Bass Palace.

I really just got it as an "equalizer" for the trade deal -- I felt like I wanted SOMETHING that was worth about $400 to even out the value of what I was trading and what Bob was offering. When I picked the IOD, I thought I would play around with the overdriven tones just for kicks. However, it turns out that it's the CLEAN tones in this unit that kill me!

With a really retro-sounding axe (like my Fender Roscoe Beck 5 with TI Jazz Rounds on it), the preamp doesn't sound so special. However, with a modern, sparkly sounding bass like my Warwick Fortress One, this piece of gear just KILLS. The clarity is like nothing I've ever heard, and I've owned other SWR gear, an Alembic F1X, etc.

OK, you don't get many tone controls with this thing, but who needs 'em? The sound right out of the box is simply EXCEPTIONAL.

2. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I agree completely...except I like the overdriven sounds too.

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

THIS MAN HAS REALIZED THE GOSPEL!

can i get a witness?!

seriously though, i haven't come across anything i like even remotely better. even with a jazz bass i think it kills. i leave everythign flat, drive right before it starts distorting, blend at half and half, and run into the passive section to get another tube stage. soooooo great.