Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just got back from a free Michael Manring clinic...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Blackbird, May 4, 2002.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    ... at the Musician's Union Local 6 .

The event was sponsored by the Northern California Bass Club and the International Society of Bassists, Organizations which I'm seriously considering joining.

Actually, Benny Rietveld was the bassist who was slated to appear, but he had to cancel because he had to do a recording session with Santana, his regular gig. I've seen Benny a couple of times, but never in a solo setting. I've seen Michael far more times than I've seen Benny, but seeing him again did not hurt at all.

Michael brought his two famous Hyperbasses and BOB, his headless fretted Zon. It was sort of like a clinic, with Q&As about Michael's influences and approach to playing. He also ripped through an impromptu version of Giant Steps like it was nothing. Michael also played "La Sagrada Familia" and "The Enormous Room".

After his gig, I talked to Michael and learned that he is no longer a columnist for Bass Player magazine, which means, hold on to your hats,

<marquee>We could have Michael back as a TalkBass Pro!!!!!!:D:D:D </marquee>

Now, don't get too excited. Also, please don't pester Michael with any unsolicited e-mails. Whether he'd like to do it or not is entirely up to him and I think we should let Paul do the talking. Since SWR is making a financial contribution to TalkBass and Michael endorses SWR, Not to mention the fact that Joe Zon is one of the resident Luthiers in our Luthier's Forum and Michael plays Zon basses, His return would be poetic justice worthy of Shakespeare.

By the way, Rufus Reid also did a workshop after Michael. You can read about it here.

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

hey, i thought it was BUB (made of bubinga and all ;) ) it doesn't matter, of course...michael came through and did two free clinics in seattle which i missed both of. i would really like a chance to see him perform. he's such an awesome bassist, and a great guy to boot. i'm still kicking myself for not being able to make those clinics.

3. Hey Neptoon, Wher in Bremerton do you live?? I grew up in Silverdale, when it had a population of 900!! Graduated from South Kitsap.. Nice to see someone from back home. Have a great day...

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, i live in illahee in east bremerton off of mcwilliams...i just got stationed here last september at strategic weapons facility pacific (swfpac) at bangor sub base...heck, i was just down in albuquerque about two months ago at kirtland AFB. had a blast...i did hang out at banana joe's a lot though ;)

5. If you are ever down here again let me know and we can hook up. I used to go to Ilahee all the time. I remember when I was a little kid and they had the first trident subs out there at bangor. Anyway , good luck, stay in touch and keep playing!!!

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    D-ooh!

I Knew I should have checked that name before posting. Thanks for setting me straight, smartas..I mean, Neptoon.

I should keep my copies of BP organized. Either that or I got Spectors on my mind.:rolleyes:

7. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    smart as.....indeed ;) hee hee

8. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    sweet!

:D

9. natebass

natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    Hey neptoon,

I work at PSNS - when are you playing next??? I'm playing Viking fest in Poulsbo on the 17th...

10. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    well, nate, i just started this gig, so we haven't played yet...we're looking at june 1st as our first date...not sure yet, though...i'll keep ya posted....i'm working at the kitsap county fairgrounds today setting up some guys...les shelton called me up the other day, and he was like....hey, man....you wanna work? his band goes on in about a half hour, so, i'm prolly gonna roll over there and check them out.

11. natebass

natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    I was supposed to help with that - but my wife vetoed that one REAL quick....