Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just got back from Battle of the Bands!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Vince S., Apr 16, 2004.

1. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    Tonight was the 2004 Battle of the Bands at my school, and the performances were awesome. However, this year, instead of it being a contest, this was a tribute concert for a very admirable, great guy who, very tragically, passed away a couple of months ago.

The first band to perform was an emo band called Something Like Silence, followed by Wagner and Day Hill Incident, also emo bands.

Those three bands were good, but it was really the last two bands that made the night incredibly memorable. The fourth band, a band called So Much Pump Up, was AMAZING. Their sound was unique and unclassifiable; there were elements of jazz, funk, folk, classic rock, modern rock, and many other styles. The singer (the only female performer in the entire concert) had a very sweet, "50s" type voice that I can't describe. The guitarist was brilliant--he broke into an awesome Santana-esque solo that got the crowd going insane. And I can't even describe the bassist; his style and technique was crazy: Groovin' basslines combined with funky technique (slap/pop, two handed tapping and alot more). His sound was like a mix between Marcus Miller and Flea. It was unbelieveable. The drummer had an awesome solo, and the keyboardist was great as well.

The band that performed last was called Booberry and the Keystone Cops, and they really got the crowd going for an exhilarating finale. The singer had great interaction with the crowd, and kept their attention in between songs. They really knew how to put on a good show. They played "Jungle Fever" and two other songs which got the crowd going INSANE. The energetic, bursting feeling of excitement was incredible. They ended the show with a bang, and it was a night to remember.

Sorry for the long post, but it was an amazing night tonight, and I just wanted to share. Thanks for reading :oops: :)

2. Wait, there were only 5 bands at your battle of bands?

My school had some 18 try out, and only 10 got in.

And yes, I was one of the 8.

3. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003