1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Just got back from Larry the Cable Guy

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike Money, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money In Memoriam

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    He's a crack up.

"Man I love the Cracker Barrel... thats good eatin'. Ya'll got the cracker barrel here in bakersfield? NO!?!?!?! Thats bull----! Damned communists. I'm callin' the governor right there!"

"There is this new gynecology clinic down the street there... and I don't think they should have had a grand opening."

"Ya'll know what word sounds dirty but isnt? Juicebox."

Hilarity all around.

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    This guy is way more hip than Jeff Foxworthy was in his heyday. I compare them because they were kinda both known for their southern thing. I think Larry is genuinely funny. He does a good job at bringing jokes back home and connecting them sometimes and whatnot.

His joke about passing out at a drive-in theater and waking up in a flea market cracked me up.

bc

3. I'll admit, he does have some funny stuff, but otherwise I find some of his comedy to be lame. David Cross' articles about him are definitely an eye opening read.

And he needs to drop that fake accent - the guy is from Nebraska, for crying out loud.

4. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Texas ain't the only place that has rednecks.

5. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    While we do have our fair share of 'necks here in Nebraska, we don't have accents. I do find Larry to be funny, none the less. Actually, speaking of Nebraska, two customers of mine are the guys who wrote the "Get er dun" song from the movie.

6. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I think you have an accent, 'cause youse ain't from around here,
    good ole 'Vodilun'. And you don't say 'dawlahs' like normal people.

A redneck is a person who doesn't know what a
    N.Y. System Wiener is.

I caught Larry on Leno the other night, he was pretty funny
    that night. Actually, he was funnier than Leno was, for sure.

7. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    :D Mid-westerners are pretty boring like that. We don't have any cool lingo. We do, however, have the best steak and corn IN THE WORLD!

8. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    his schtick got old real fast. just like the "you know you're a redneck if" jokes.

Ron White... HE'S the funny guy on the Blue Collar Tour.

9. Larry actually got his break on the radio in Orlando back in the 80's. I was hearing "Git 'er dun!" driving between window tinting job in the afternoons long before anyone outside Central Florida even had a clue he was there.

He was funny the first 1,000 times I heard his schtick, but it's a bit old now.

And Doug's right, Ron White is THE MAN for funny...

"...I wasn't drunk in pub-lick, I was drunk in the bar, they threw me out, arrest THEM."

:D

10. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    What's the appeal? This guy isn't funny. Redneck comedy is so cliche.

11. Mike Money

Mike Money In Memoriam

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Ya, ron white is the funnier one... Well, him and engval. Bill never gets old to me.

"So, I was hooking up the boat to the truck so I could go fishin.... my neighbor comes and asks me if im going to the lake, i tell him no, the batter on the bronco is dead and im pushin' it to work with the boat."

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I don't find any of the other guys funny. OF course, none of them will ever be Mitch Hedberg. :bawl:

bc

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ron White is the only funny thing about the blue collar comedy tour, I like his "classy redneck" approach... and his delivery is hilarious.

I'd imagine I'd find Larry funny, but Git R Done is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar to popular around here. When I hear somebody yell that out, I usually end up shooting them with a gun.

14. Kibuddy

Kibuddy

Apr 30, 2005
    I must say, I've never really liked Larry the Cable Guy all that much. I'm more of a Dane Cook fan.

15. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    I first heard Larry on Mancows morning show here in Chicago. He was funny then, but now it's a bit old hearing that fake southern drawl every time I turn on Comedy Central.

Brad, Mitch was a genius for sure.

"I got into an argument with a girlfriend inside of a tent. That's a bad place for an argument, because when I left I tried to slam the flap. How do you express your anger in this situation? Zipper it up real quick? "
    :D

16. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    +1

The drive thru bit is HILARIOUS.

17. if you like mitch hedberg (he was my favorite too) then you should check out Steven Wright "I have the worlds largest seashell collection. You may have seen it, I keep it spread out on beaches all over the world."

"I hate it when my foot falls asleep during the day because that means it's going to be up all night."

"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time."

but i agree, Bill and Ron are the two funny guys on BCCT, i think larry is a hack...and foxworthy is funny but i burnt myself out on his cd with the clampetts go to maui track on it...

18. I agree with Bad Brains (!)...I don't find him very funny at all. Ron White has some great stories, though!

19. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah, I've heard of Steven Wright and seen him on TV.

bc

20. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    If I ever become really funny and end up being a stand up comic, I sure hope that my claim to fame is not a catch phrase.

At least Foxworthy had a schtick, but "git-r-done" is kind of annoying.