1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just got back from my first ever audition...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by xxfaux_punkxx, Apr 13, 2010.

1. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    So I found out that I had an audition on sunday (for today). They gave me a set list of what to play. In the short time I had I picked one song and just went to work. Practiced pretty much non-stop for todays. Played until my fingers were raw and my pick left cut marks on the side of my finger.

Show up we start jamming the song I learned and five seconds in we stop.... Apparantly I learned the wrong version.. oops.... If that wasn't bad enough the guitarist ended up tuning my bass to regular tuning for me (was in BEAD) and had to re-teach me the song pretty much. After about an hour of playing (me getting lost after the first measure every time) they stopped. Told me that they would send me the right tabs and to come back next tuesday to try again...

so although things were bad I got a call back.:hyper:

2. clutebass

clutebass

Jan 15, 2010
    Cincinnati
    That's unfortunate man, I hope they really do send you those tabs. I was once in a band auditioning a drummer and he was so bad that our rhythm guitarist faked like he blew out his amp in order to end the audition. I hope your results are better than this!

3. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    Yeah, that went pretty bad.

Sounds like they like you enough though to ask you back, so good for you. Just be yourself and whatever happens happens.

I always double check the key the piece is in when I'm asked to play it for an audition. Always. Some songs have more than one popular cover so always ask about that too.

Also at least in the bands I've auditioned for, they are notorious for adding chords or bridge sections or removing them, which often screws up the cover bass line. Point it out and see how they react.

4. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    why did the guitarist have to retune your bass? :rollno:

couldn't visualize a string up? I always laugh when people can't follow what I'm playing because it's on a fiver or I'm tuned differently or something. :ninja:

5. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    yeah at the end of the audition I played the version I learned and they liked it. Said I nailed the song just the wrong version and they really did like my playing so that's why they wanted me to try again.

As far as the tuning went I think the guitarist was just trying to be nice (although she made me feel like an idiot lol)

because I was tuned to BEAD and it was throwing her off.

6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Probably because the guitar player was more comfortable teaching the bass line with standard tuning.

Congrats on getting out and auditioning! Once you get into a band, your musical life will be changed forever. You might want to check out the links in my sig. below for some info that may help you along the way.

In the future, you might want to ask the group to provide you with a recording of the tune(s) they want you to learn.

Hey, if they're willing to work with you, go for it.

Good luck.

7. tuned up from B to E.....geez....seems like a lot of tension

from what i'm reading you didn't ask enough of the right questions to prepare....i'm kind of wondering why you did not retune it yourself,and why auditioning in BEAD seemed like a plan.....

8. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

"...send me the right tabs."

What is that???

9. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    the song I was learned was tuned to BEAD so that's what I tuned to. As far as preparing... yeah I didn't really ask any questions. They just told me what to play. I looked up the tabs and that was it.

10. It sounds like your audition went horribly...

11. :eek:

But don't take the mistakes at the audition to heart, I say. Everybody makes mistakes. You'll get through just fine if you're careful and practice well.

12. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Maybe she just thinks you're very handsome? Hey, could be...

Congratulations on getting through the problems and through your first audition. Good luck with the second round.

13. It's not allways about how good you are at the audition but how well you listen and work with the people around you and can take constructive criticism.
    I have gotten most all of my auditions even when I have been up against much better bass players because you can learn the songs but the personality is what the band is stuck with.

14. fmoore60

fmoore60

Jun 11, 2008
    Jonestown, PA
    No bad audition, you got prepared and gave it a shot. Keep playing, bands will come and go, you are better today than before the audition, experience is the best teacher. Buy a tuner, inline pedal type is recommended.
    SHE! Chick guitarist for your first band, cool!

15. JmJ

JmJ

Jan 1, 2008
    NYC
    Good grief..........

16. dogofgod

dogofgod

Dec 24, 2009
    I would have jet after the gui**** told me to retune.

17. deekay911

deekay911 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Charleston SC
    Well it can only get better from here on, it's all a learning experience. Don't want to be a downer, but don't be surprised if you don't hear from them again - it went pretty badly, and maybe they were just trying to let you down gently, without giving you the bad news there and then..

18. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    There's a million bands. If you want to be in one, you will.

19. rickl289

rickl289

Jun 17, 2009
    minnetonka, mn
    I tend to agree. I just did my first audition last Wednesday and it was more "do I want to be in this band?" than "do they want me in this band?".

We played a a bunch of songs that I knew (they are pretty seasoned players) and we will see.

The drummer has some other bass players they want to audition but the guitarist emailed me today saying none of them were up to speed on any of the songs.

You should be asking a lot of questions to see if it is a group you want to hang with. No sense wasting their time or yours.

20. VinKreepo

VinKreepo

Nov 13, 2009
    Sooo... this chick tuned your BEAD to EADG? Can you say UNGODLY TENSION ON NECK?

She better be hot....