1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just got back from my local Target (pics)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mookie stinks, Mar 2, 2008.

1. mookie stinks

mookie stinks Banned

Feb 15, 2008
    originally from here

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=411415

i havent been to my local target in about a month - maybe more. i needed a couple things today so i ran over there to get them.... as i am walking down the main aisle from the back corner of the auto parts section i hear what i believe is someone playing a keyboard - very loud. i thought of the whole BB/WM thing and said to myself '' holy crap did they get a music(instruments) section???"

i raced my cart down the main aisle getting closer to the keyboard sound - off to the right on the sidewall of the store kind of in between sporting goods and the music/dvd section was two sections of guitars and keyboards - looks like people are buying the stuff up because the section looked empy/picked over. they did have two 'starcasters' though - check the phone pics. they had everything from leather straps,strings to capos. i think the section will expand into its own 'department' once they see the sales numbers.

11llk41.
    2h7qao8.

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Super Targets in San Antonio have been selling gear for some time now...

:)

3. I played a Starcaster acoustic once. It made Squire play and feel like a professionally set up Fodera. Unless their solid bodies really have improved, I wouldn't touch them.

4. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Yeah the Targets around here have been selling gear too. Nothing great, mind you, but musical instruments nonetheless. Who knows, maybe the next Jimi Steve Paige Malmstreem will start his musical career because of it!

5. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Looks like the same crap Walmart sells.

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    LOL what do you expect?

7. Yep. Super Walmarts have too. Ours here in town has pretty much anything for the beginner: guitars, acoustics, basses, drums, keys, small amps. Meijer, another chain department store, has them too. They carry Gibson branded products: Maestro by Gibson.

8. I've picked up guitar strings and chord books from Target.

9. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    Sears, and Spiegels used to sell a lot of beginner/intermediate level music gear. I used to check out the musical instrument section in their catalogs, when I was a kid. This is not a new idea.

10. mookie stinks

mookie stinks Banned

Feb 15, 2008
    yes! i got a 'cort' guitar from sears probably 15-20 years ago. its heavy as hell - the interesting thing about it is that it has on board effects - like 7 or 8 different ones that have push button on/off switches. so there are the volume tone controls and then 7 or 8 little push buttons (with LED) for disto,chours,delay and some others i cant think of.... its somewhere in my parents garage or attic....havent touched it in years. oh its got a whammy bar/bridge as well.

11. Yep. I also noticed that similarity.. Also, "Frys Electronics" is as well is carrying a small line of musical gear in their stores.. with about the same 'level' of quality as the fore-mentioned stores.

12. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Self-Appointed Ambassador to the Dragonfly
    My brother has a Starcaster he used to learn on. It's nothing special but the maple neck is figured enough that if you told somebody it was birdseye maple and that it wasn't a Starcaster they would believe you.

13. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    Funny thing is the stuff Nat Danials and supro were making were considered beginner instuments back in the day. Now people pay big money for that stuff. It does sound good though. Who knows, 50 years from now people could pay big money for the Target/Walmart stuff:eek:

14. pingone

pingone

Nov 29, 2007
    walmart around here has been selling stuff for quite some time. i picked up 5 sets of ghs bassics med lights for $1.50 each on clearance about a month ago. not a bad set of strings for that price.