Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just got back from Orlando

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by malthumb, Mar 21, 2004.

1. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Spent the last week in Orlando and managed to make a quick visit to the Happiest Place on Earth. That would be Bass Central if you play bass. Gard, Grasshopper, and the rest of the guys are great guys. They had seven Alembics in the house, and I didn't touch a one of them. I was focusing on playing things that I hadn't really played around with too much. I didn't want to abuse the hospitality, given that I knew I wasn't going to be buying a bass. Then again there was that one MTD.....Gard, you know the one I'm talking about. That bass just breathed funk.

I also got to dink around with a Dingwall. As many of you have said before, the fanned frets weren't as tough to get used to as I would've thought. It sounded really alive for a passive bass, and the flat, wide neck felt good.

I even messed around with a Spector for a few minutes while I was waiting for my taxi. I had over-looked the Spector, because I was more interested in playing things I had not played before. I figured Spector, Warwick Corvette, to-may-toe, to-mah-toe. Wrong. The Spector was seriously zingy and snappy. I tend to find most Warwicks to have a heavier sort of sound.

I played a couple other basses, but the ones that were most memorable were the MTD, the Dingwall, the MTD, the Spector, did I mention the MTD??

Oh, well....I may as well let the cat out of the bag.....

Why I didn't buy the MTD

2. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    My wife and I went to Orlando for our Honeymoon. I spent the better part on one day a BC!! Loved it!

3. orlando is a good place for vacations, and it sounds like your trip to BC wasnt to shabby either.

4. I can't agree with you more about the dingwall. If its the Whalepool Blue 6string ABII i have played that same bass on my trip to BC. Another honorable mention if it was still on the floor was the Trans blue w/maple board Fbass BN5.

5. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    Did you look at or play the used SSD w/red stain? What MTD did you like?

6. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Ahhhh --can't wait to get down there. I'll be down in O-town first week of April, and I am, in fact, in the market for a brand new axe.
    How is it that I grew up in Orlando, and spend every major holiday there, and yet the first I heard of BC was just like 3 weeks ago? :confused:

They may never get me to leave.... :hyper:

7. Wow! :eek:

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I took the family to Orlando a few weeks ago to do the Disney thing . . . tried like HELL to get up the road to see Gard and vent my GAS, but alas, I couldn't make it happen . . . very, very sad . . .

9. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I was at BC about a year ago and I did the same thing. I wanted to play some basses that I have no access to here in Milwaukee. The guys were great and I even got to talk with Beaver about a luthier here in Milwaukee named Devon Smullen. I'm going to be in Orlando in September for The night of Praise at Disney and I already have some time blocked out to visit BC.

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've spent many an hour at Bass Central, most of them fruitless, but some have led to many, many hours of very poor bass playing.