Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just got back from the Aerosmith/Kiss Concert in Cinci - got a question (PARKER)!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by optikill, Aug 14, 2003.

1. optikill

optikill

Aug 1, 2003
    Tom Hamilton was playing a paker bass. That thing sounded so awesome - I stood there with my mouth hanging open the whole time the Aero-Force was on stage in complete awe. Before they played Sweet Emotion, Tom did this improv/bass solo. Then he kicked in the intro to the tune. Absolutely Beautiful!

Does anyone know where I can get one of these online (not musiciansfriend) or any other place for that matter?

And - has anyone had any first hand experience with this bass?

2. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
  3. TrickDog

TrickDog Gold Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I own one and love it. Be warned - Talkbass members flame you for liking a Parker!

Bass Northwest sold me mine and has great prices and service. Ask for Chad and tell him Mitchell sent you. www.bassnw.com

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Heh...Yeah, they can be rough. If I remember correctly, I had your back, though. :D

"Live, and let live." That's my motto. Anyone who doesn't agree with that should be hunted down, and killed. :eek: :D

5. TrickDog

TrickDog Gold Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Sorry bassmonkeee, you are right! Thanks.

Correction - MOST Talkbass members....

6. optikill

optikill

Aug 1, 2003
    opinions and thoughts about the bass (not considering appearance - cause I love they way they look) Just feel, playability and tone....?

Thanks Guys!!!

PS should i get the 5 or the 4?

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    They're not the best lookers, but they do sound nice. They had a sunburst colored 5 @ the NAMM that sounded shweeeet!

8. if you like the looks they have good playability and tone. I also would say to contact bass north west or bass central about buy one. my only complaint about them is the price. I think they just cost a bit much for what you get.

9. optikill

optikill

Aug 1, 2003
    are they fairly slap happy? If they are they sound like my dream.....

I just think they are great!!! (now if I get one - i'll deffinitley have to sell my ESP G**tar)

as for as the 5 vs. 4 battle that hits a lot of people - should I just go ahead and get the 5? I always have the B if i need it right?

10. optikill

optikill

Aug 1, 2003
  11. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Well, I like the way they look. Better than most singlecuts most of the forum-goers here always seem to cream their pants over. :D

12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...hmm...

....I know someplace you can get one....

(check my sig :D)

13. optikill

optikill

Aug 1, 2003
    Gard,

I've been talking with Perry and Beaver at your "Day Job" about ordering a Fly Bass ;-)

The only question i have is are they good for slap?

Seeing Tom Pluck the Fly Bass (Enter Background Music: Intro to Sweet Emotion) Wednesday night gave me the most GiNormous case of Bass Lust I have ever had :)

14. optikill

optikill

Aug 1, 2003

Anyone know? :confused:

15. optikill

optikill

Aug 1, 2003
    last try.... anyone?

16. I haven't played one, so I can't say for sure. I'm sure it also depends on what kind of slap tone you go for, and what kind of spacing you like. It's a fairly light, resonant instrument, so it's not going to have a slap tone like a Thumb or a 70's Jazz, but that's not what everyone's going for anyway. If you're thinking about a 5, the string spacing is fairly narrow, too, but not everyone cares about that either.

Mike

17. optikill

optikill

Aug 1, 2003
    i can adapt to string spacing i guess..... (this is my first bass so i have nothing to compare to). Since it's my first - should I get the 4 instead of the 5?

As for Slap tone.... I dunno, I want to be able to play some chili peppers when i want to.... but after hearing the intro to sweet emotion I HEARD the bass I intend to buy......

I just wanna know if they are fairly slapable?

18. At least one other person who's posted about them here in TB liked the slap tone. Chris Brunhaver said "The bass had a very articulate, hyped-up jazz bass sound and you could dial in all the highs from the peizo, lows, and throaty bark than you would ever need. I thought it had a killer slap tone, but quite modern sounding." OTOH, it's also a fairly expensive and idiosyncratic instrument for someone who's never owned a bass, and the limitations with "slapability" are more likely to be with the player than the instrument at this stage...

Mike

19. optikill

optikill

Aug 1, 2003
    Thanks for the info....

I've played bass before - just never owned one... I've played guitar for about 12 years or so. I just feel very bored with my guitar. I need to grove so to speak. Does that make any sense?