Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just got back from the local G.C...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Osama_Spears, Apr 15, 2003.

1. I played an assortment of instruments,but in basses...hrmm...

I like the Mark Hoppus Signature,I don't care if you guys hate me for it,but it's a good pick-bass also...it's very comfortable,I liked the neck.

I also played a fretless warwick,I didn't see the name because I was so swamped over how cool the fretless was...aww man,it was sweet. Like, I've only been playing for a bit(5 months) and I always wanted to play a fretless...and oh man I did.

the amps I mainly used was a Working Man's 15...oh man that has a nice low end, I was playing the fretless and when I hit the open E, haha the ceiling vent started to rattle,and this bad boy was on low volume/gain too!:p

I also played a USED Peavey BW TNT115...I thought I was gonna hate it because I heard these things aren't that good...I just plugged in the Mark H. Fender and turned it on,didn't even mess w/ the EQ and it sounded really nice...the lows,highs,and mids were very well spread...

well...thats it!

*shrug* I have no idea why I just told you guys this...what do you think?:confused:

-Jon:oops:

2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I think you were probably bombarded with a screeching rendition of "Eruption" as played by some mullethead with a hot pink BC Rich upon entering the joint.

3. naw, man. i go to the GC in boston; i wouldn't have been there.
    :D

4. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    JT?

5. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    FLOYD, G.C. Boston rules man, I love how the store is set up. You just walk in and it's like guitars and basses as high up as you can see. and then its likes a giant pyramid of bass amps in the middle.

6. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    hmm.....I will be takin a trip to the boston GC sometime soon.....went to the one in Danvers a little while ago, but i haven't been to the boston one because I had to get home..... how is the selection at the boston GC? and how does it compare to Danvers? also, are the other 2 in mass any good?

gotta know so I can plan an excursion....being so far away from the nearest GCs is what I get for living in a place with relatively clean water......

7. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Always comes the time when a men (or a women) needs to choose between fresh air and water or a bigger musical store near home... :rolleyes:

8. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    You boys do yourselves a favor and keep driving past Guitar Center and visit the following non-corporate music stores actually owned and run by working musicians:

Mr. Music in Allston- great selection of interesting basses. You can try a Mexican P Bass anywhere. this is where you can find weird old hollowbodys, Gibson EB basses, all manner of interesting vintage madness for reasonable prices.

Rock City in Davis Square, Cambridge- run by several Corys, both of whom play bass. They have F Basses, Lakland, Mike Lull, custom built beasties and the notorious Burns Bison, as well as cool amps by Ashdown, Hiwatt, Traynor (the cool old monoblock amps that are the essence of Canadian tone). regular GC shoppers will be blown away by a knowlegable and helpful sales staff. These guys don't just offer empty opinions ("dude, that bass looks rad on you"), they actually know what the hell they are talking about.

Cambridge Music (both locations). Go talk to Joe Klompus who owns three of every bass ever made. He'll talk about the difference in brands of flatwounds for as long as you wanna go. A great bass resource.

The difference between corporate music stores and these three places is that you develop a relationship with these guys. If you buys something from one of them and it's not what you need, they'll help you out, not just read a script about store policy to you. They're not retail stooges in matching polo shirts who practically frisk you on the way out of the store. Guitar Center is K Mart is McDonalds is crap.

9. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    The Make 'N' Music in fredneck has a couple of hoppus, been there for a long time. You could probably get a great deal on one.

10. heh...naw...I'm not gonna buy a new bass...I'm looking for an amp mostly..

the only thing I didn't like is the jazz Pick guard...ick

he shoulda kept it P...

11. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Buy my Ampeg B-100R. I'm not sure if my deal is falling through or not.

12. what is it? a head?

sorry...I'm stupid

how much?

13. smashkick14

smashkick14

Jan 10, 2002
    everett wa
    alright... you might have your mind set, but some of those guys have a point private stores do offer good stuff, if you want to go cheapo get a fender 15 wattB , mine keeps up with my friends 60 and 30 watts only turned up on 4

14. Hands down, best shop in the Boston area.

:brad:

15. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I need to put a BW in my TNT... I haven't had it a year yet... I like the tone, but I hear that black widows are just so freakin superior...

Ya, I dig the hoppus bass also.