Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

just got back from the matrix reloaded

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by john turner, May 15, 2003.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    booyah! excellent. i imagine many people who see this movie are going to be pissed. it's a bit to cerebral for most folks, me thinks.

personally, i thought it was fabulous - better than the first. the convolutions in the story make it truly sublime, imo.

2. I've got a question, then. After hearing how fantastic the first one was, I finally saw it last summer, and I thought that, other than the special effects, it sucked. (Even though Agent Smith is cool).
    I am willing to give the other movies a try, however. Does the plot pick up and become more interesting and surprising?

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I hate you.

;)

4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Seeing the friday 7 o clock show.

*Polly runs around with hands over ears and shouting "LA LA LA LA LA"*

5. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I just got back from the show and thought over all a really good movie, but I felt that the "sceen"(you know what I mean) with Neo and Trinity/The whole "dancing" in Zion was a bit unnessessary. The origional had a very wide fan base, and by throwing this in a portion of that fan base may be reluctant to see the movie. And besides that it adds nothing what so ever to the plot or emotion of the movie.

Ok but enough of that. I really liked how they totally twisted the plot of the story. I really look forward to seeing it resolve in November.

6. I thought even the first part was quite nice and had an exellent plot (for that kind of movie of course)

7. The only thing i didnt like from the first film was Hugo Weaving. The talking through clenched teeth to disguise is heavy aussie accent did get annoying.

Y'know what sucks? The Matrix stuff was filmed in Sydney and yet America gets to see it first. Stupid i tell ya

:D:D

Merls

8. I thought that the movie was indeed excellent. More thinking to it, and a very, very interesting plot twist, IMO.

I also didn't like the dancing scene. Too long and totally irrelevant to the movie.

The end confused me a bit though. I am not sure why what happened happened. I won't give it away for anyone, but the very last scene with the sentinels. How did that happen? I would be interested to hear anyone's take on it. I have some ideas, but they all seem to have flaws based on what is revealed about "the anomoly".

Geoff

9. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i don't know about totally irrelevant - it shows that those in zion still _live_, not exist in some kind of underground hell waiting for the inevitable. i think it presented some important element of humanity to the story - what do they do for fun? do they still even care about fun? i found it a bit long, but i definitely understood it's use as a plot device - it made the whole zion area a lot more "real".

think of what smith said when he confronted neo. think of their "trade".

10. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, i only had one problem with the first one, other than that i found it to be one of the best sci fi movies i've ever seen, so i don't know if you want to take my word for it, but i think this one was better in the way it deepened the story.

11. whoa.

12. yearofthespider

yearofthespider Guest

May 15, 2003
    Oklahoma City
    Havnt checked out the movie yet but i own the soundtrack and let me tell you i was highly dissapointed!! in the two cds it come with you get about 5 band songs and the rest is techno computer generated stuff with no lyrics im just not into. hope the movie is better than the cd. Also just got mansons the golden age of grotesque and its pretty good better than holywood by far in my book. Although the first song sounds like a mix between linkin park and nin. Also just got year of the spider by cold and it rocks best cold cd yet. got a song on there called the day seattle died and its about len staley and kurt cobain. check it out its really cool.

13. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I saw it last night at 10pm. The action sequences were fun, and I went in not caring about the rest of the film too much, just knowing that if the action scenes entertained that I would be fine. So I was. The plot bored me though. I thought that they were trying to take themselves too seriously. The Morpheus character seemed slow, dim-witted and obtuse. Keanu Reeves still can't act, and I thought it was WAY over the top.

Great action sequences. Fun.

14. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, i know. it was late, and a long day that started at around 7:00 a.m.

:rolleyes: weak, i know.

15. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama

You've been reading Leonard Maltin movie reviews again haven't you??

:D

Probably see it this weekend..

16. What was your one problem with the first movie?

I remember a few plot devices bothered the hell out of me, but I haven't seen it in a while so I'm having trouble remembering specifics.

17. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    I dled the preview thing on the matrix reloaded site and found out the whole highway they used during filming was constructed in an abandoned naval base in LA, Cali just for the movie. It stretched like almost 2 miles long and could be seen when landing in LAX by plane.

Cool.

18. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i had an issue with the claim that you necessarily had to die in real life if you died in the matrix. that just doesn't have to happen - any computerized interface, like what was used to "jack in" could be constructed with a "condom" of sorts, so that whatever it was that made your brain think it was dead just didn't apply.

in fact, once they jacked out, i thought it would've been in their best interest to "jack in" with a better interface, something that protected their avatars in the matrix and enabled them to avoid getting hurt.

see snow crash for some ideas on how a realistic metaverse could develop.

that being said, i think it's one of the most intelligent and well executed sci fi series/stories ever. i'm truly amazed that it was even made.

19. JT and all, seen "The Thirteenth Floor", "Dark City" and "ExistenZ"?

20. Desdenova

Desdenova

Feb 18, 2003
    Hampton, VA
    I downloaded "The Secret Life of the Love Song" by Nick Cave, and I knew he was Austrailian, but I still found it really creepy when he went from singing fairly accent-less to speaking. I dunno what that has to do with anything, but...you'll see the connection if you become as neurotic as me.

I'd be interested to see the new Matrix. First one was pretty good. Not interested enough to GO see it, but I'll be sure to rent it =O.