Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just GOt Back From Vai

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Well well...just got back from a grat vai concert, billy was cool, he let me down on 'for the love of god' though, he just played too much for that song, and his bass solo left me feeling kinda bitter, he got speed and what not....but no groove :( , especially after watching G3 with Phillip Bynoe, but all in all it was a good concert, they did a realy sweet cover version of 'Fire'......animal song was real sweet with all the led lights...i do feel like trying one of the billly shehan sigs :D ...but BRING BACK STU, WE NEED YOU STU :p :smug:

2. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Funny i actually hated Stu, and really didn't care for his tone either. I unfortunately never got to see Vai or G3 in concert cause i was always out of town when they were here so I bought the DVD's instead :p I think Billy Sheehan's image is a huge part of his appeal.He's a 9 foot beats who stands there with a seafoam green bass strapped practicalyl under his armpits and he just shreds like nobody's business. He's shreds better than most guitarists! I really wanted one of his sig basses, LOVE the monster tone they get. unfortunately I don't htink any store outside of Asia (he seems to be huge there) actually stock his basses. I asked at one of my local stores and they said it would cost about 1600$ CAN and there was like a 4-6 month wait :rollno: needless to say I didn't get it. One day though. I htink it is pretty much a 1 trick bass and not too versatile, so I might go with a Sterling or Valenti as my next one instead.

3. whats wrong with stu's tone? how can you refuse the siren of a kubicki :smug:

4. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    it annoys me lol. I've only heard some clips off the net and saw a video (in which the audience seemed to boo him) Different strokes i guess.... :bag:

5. they're not booing stu goddammit...they're saying 'stuuuuuuuuu'...if its off the satch in san francisco dvd he says 'they stu hamm because they love him'

http://www.stuarthamm.net/faq.php

6. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    OHHHHHHH! Mkes sense! Meh either way I still don't like him :p Him and Flea.

7. I'll be checking out the Vai show in Hong Kong with Timothy, one of the other HK TBers, and I'm kind of curious...
    How's the drummer?

8. the drummer is nothing short of awesome....watch out for the extended extended keyboard solo, which is interesting but boring and long......vai's animal song goes off with the darkness, heaps of led light action on his head, fingers and guitar

9. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    If it is still Donati with him, I've never heard better, and one of the best if not (arguably) THE BEST drummer around.