Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just got back from warp tour! listen to this!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steve-o, Aug 2, 2002.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    almost every band had a jazz bass!!!!
    some had a p-bass. and some had a music man.
    not very many. one had a G&L 2000.
    and one band even had a peavey cirus 5!
    and a couple of ibanezes.
    but what happened to p-basses and music mans?
    and almost everyone had ampeg 8x10's and an ampeg head.
    but one band. Luck 7. the bassist had a workingman's 4004. and a crate 2x15! (i know this isn't bass, but trying to show everyone that punk isn't all p-basses)
    so there shouldn't be any question about what bass. you can use jazz basses with awsome results!
    that is what i use any way!!

and by the way why do some bands have tape or they sanded the name of there basses?

steve

2. i suppose it makes it a little less "corporate"

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yep. Knew a fellow who baught a 600 strat, and shaved off the fender logo. He then went around telling people he had a no-name guitar he found in a pawn shop for $50.

4. and by the way why do some bands have tape or they sanded the name of there basses?

steve [/B][/QUOTE]

This is because there are video recordings and pictures that are used on the warped tour page and on cd covers, etc and I guess they dont want to get into all the copyrights and what not.

5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Yesterday in Atlanta I found pretty much the opposite to be true. The good majority of bands were using Music Mans, and there were more G&L L-2000s than Jazzes. I did notice that most of the bands using MMs had Jazzes as back ups. And of course the bassist for Tiger Army had that 3/4 size upright. ::drooling::

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

They're on the "Endorser" or "Artist" lists for other brands and pictures of them playing a bass displaying the name of a brand they don't have an endorsement deal with would be embarassing, if not costly.

Lots of bassists take Fenders and Ernie Balls on the road and leave "their best stuff" safe at home. Sound techs/bass techs/recording engineers are familiar with those basses, too.

I'm not saying it's true for every bassist, but it is for many.

7. This is the most plausible scenario put forth yet. That'd be like Tiger Woods playing a tournament wearing Foot-Joys and using Callaway clubs.

8. When the warped tour came here, almost every single person was using Stingrays or Sterlings. The rest were pretty much P's. I don't remember even seeing a jazz, but I am sure there was a couple there. I also saw one Rick. Ernie Ball sponsors the tour and probably lends basses out or sells them for cheap to the bands.

jtbp

9. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    I'm going tomorrow to the Tampa show. I'll check out the basses. Can't wait:)

Alex

10. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I remove the names from the s**t I buy, because I don't feel like I should have to pay someone to advertise their product. When I bought my Fender, I removed the name from the headstock, when I got my Peavey and my Sonic cabs, I removed the names from the grills, when I buy jeans, I remove the tag on the back that has the brand name on it, I don't buy shirts that have the company's logo splashed across the front of it (a la Smelly Buttfinger or Abercrombie's A Bitch) and if I buy a car and it has the name of the dealer on the back of it, I remove it as well.

It's just the way I am -- and apparently, lots of others are the same way. ;)

11. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Yes everyone I saw was using Ampeg 8x10s the only bassist that played a G&L that I saw was the bassist for Hot Water Music. Other than that all I saw was Fender P's and J's and Stingrays.

12. rickbass

I'm not here to spoil your fun, Steve, BUT, being an older bugger, doesn't this say something sad about the state of rock these days???

Call me an "old bugger" but it was nice when we used to go to rock concerts and each band had distinctive instruments and distinctive sound.

Personally, I look to you younger guys and more independent-minded bassists like Martinie to inject some vitality back into it.

13. savagelucy

savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    Canada

doesn't Ryknow use ampeg 8X10s and ampeg heads too?

14. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I know that I have played shows in the past where everyone just uses one persons gear. Im not saying that this is the case, it would just make a lot of sence to leave the same setup at each stage. Bringing a bass with you is one thing but hauling every bands diffrent kind of amp could get to be a lot of work. Ampegs seem to be the 'standard' of punk rock :rolleyes:. I doubt that anyone one on the tour would have a problem using someone elses amp.

15. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    well yes it was HOT WATER MUSIC that had the G&L. and everyone changed amps for every band. even tho' the used the same thing! one had a swr set up with a mo bass head. and actually i didn't see anyone that even had a music ball bass at the Ernie Ball stage! and not all had jazz basses.
    tiger army rocked!!!!!! they sounded great!
    the only wierd thing is that he had a tweeter cab.
    three tweeters on the top of his head in a cab.
    huh???
    but guitars all differed! from tele's to strats to les pauls, ibanez.
    flogging molly is awsome!!!

steve

16. This is proof that "Rock" is still dead,,, Yep! that includes "Punk" rock too! Sorry kids!

17. rickbass

It's not that it's a lot of work. That's why God made roadies. The operative word is "cheaper." At the insane prices tickets go for these days, it wouldn't break the bank to rent a couple more trailers. Plus it's more "convenient" for "the stars" and less of a headache for the tour managers. The artists don't have to wait through tear down and set up for each band.

Back around the time the automobile was invented, I used to travel with a Fender 400PS - three 18" cabs at around 120 lbs. apiece and a head that was about 80 lbs. It was just 2 roadies and myself. But, that was "my sound."

I doubt someone like Chancellor would play without his Mesas or Flea would play without his GK's. So, it's kind of "warped" if the gear influences who is on the tour.

lucy - You're right, Martinie has used Ampeg when I've seen him. But I don't think you'll see him with a Fender or an EB.

18. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    They didn't use the EXACT same stuff pretty close. Thursday's bassist had an Ampeg SVT5-Pro while Hot Water Music had a SVT-CL same cabs though I saw nothing but Ampeg the whole time. Was Midtown there when you went? They're supposed to be on the tour but they weren't there when I was :( .

19. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    no i don't remember them there at all.
    ya the some heads were differnt. but still ampeg. and the same cabs. and they switched every time!

steve

20. You know, I'd just love to see a major rock bassist bust out with a Zon or a Roscoe or somesuch through an EBS or Trace Elliot rig, just for something different. (Maybe if TB's own highly talented, distinctive DarkMazda makes it big, we can cheer him on as he plays a Legacy through a Trace rig.)