Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just got in an accident

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eric Cameron, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Well, THIS just makes my friggin day. I was leaving for school, stopped at a 4-way intersection. I looked left, no body. I looked right, there was an old lady not moving. The guy across from me had already gone through the intersection, so I thought she was letting me thorugh.

Apparently not.:(

No one is hurt, and her truck came out with only a broken turn signal and a dent to her front bumper. I, on the other hand, and a mostly-detroyed right rear quarter panel. I can't make hard left turns because it rubs on the tire, and the back hatch won't close because of how the panel was warped. I got all her insurance info, and I've reported it, but I'm still leary. I can't really remember if she had right of way or not. And she's insured through AARP, who has a lot of clout.

Oh well, no school for me today. Stupid cars. And just after I got finished with most of the repairs, too!! AAARRRRGGG!!!!

Rock on
    Eric

2. Ouch!!!

I feel for you man that sucks :(

Hope her insurance covers it, Drive safe on that dented rear QP. All you need is to blow a tire.

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Gah, that sucks...

4. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I feel for ya, but it's gotta happen sooner or later. :scowl:

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Sucky McSuck. Get your story down, man!! Decide whether she had the right of way or not and get your story down. Do NOT tell the insurance people "I can't really remember if she had right of way or not" if she didn't have the right of way so think hard and get your story.

brad cook

6. I would've settled for an accident over my DUI.... :meh: they suck

too bad about yer vehicle man..

7. Holy snot! That sucks man...

8. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    My take - her fault. Apparently you were already most of the way through the intersection when she hit the right rear of your car. In a four way stop it helps to be a little aggressive and take your turn. Once you start moving, don't stop unless you just absolutely have to.

9. I'm glad no one is hurt. That's the important thing.

I've been through 3 car accidents in the last 7 years. You DO get through them. Be nice to your insurance people. They cut you some slack if you're courteous.

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    The same can go for THEIR insurance people too! I've been in one accident in my life and it wasn't my fault. I couldn't see any discernable damage to my car but it did need an alignment. When the other guy's claims rep came to see me I was nice to him. I wasn't kissing his ass or anything...I just treated him like I treat anyone else. I just chatted and asked him questions about himself and whatnot. A few weeks later I received a $500 check indicating that I needed a bumper replacement or something. Maybe I did but it sure didn't look like it to me! I got an alignment and pocketed the rest.

brad cook

11. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Your fault. The right of way at a 4 way stop goes to whoever got their first, and just follows in order of arrival.

That sucks man.

12. Her fault. The guy across from you had priority, from there it goes to the person on his right, and since there was no one there it goes to you. Order of arrival only matters for the first car to arrive if 3 cars get there at about the same time. You don't sit there and memorize who got to the intersection first. Lets say 5 cars pull up to a 4 way stop in one lane and then 1 pulls up in a different lane 2 seconds later. The one car doesnt have to wait for all 5 cars to go before they go. You go in a circle.

13. I've never heard that. I'm almost 100% it's order of arrival - We aren't dealing poker hands here.

14. Rhythmalism

Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    My argument would be: who hit who :D.

15. Well, I'm back from work (got called in early, too. This day just gets better and better) I got a call from my adjuster, and told him the whole story. I tried to be as objective as possible, told him of the things I was SURE of and the things I was unsure of. He tapped away at his computer, and told me, "Well, it look's like she is at fault, but I want to talk to her as well before any judgment is made."

According to him, the law does not say anything about who has right of way at a controlled (4-way stop) intersection. Since I was already in motion, I'm the one who apparently had the right of way.

Still, I can't shake the feeling that I could have done something to miss this. Maybe stopped earlier, or looked back at her before I started out, something. I just don't want to have to replace ANOTHER piece of my car!! I looked at it, and it's not just a quarter panel. The panel wraps up and is also the roof and part of the back hatch. It's a semi-monobody. I don't think this bodes well.

Oh well, I get to talk to her insurance company tomorrow, and also try to find someplace to get an estimate. I know, find a good reputable place, and there is one known here localy that is good, called Leif's Auto Collision Centers. Good people who don't have insurance companies looking over their shoulders. (We used them before when my parents got in a wreck some time ago)

Rock on
    Eric

16. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    You were in the interesection first. She hit your right rear quarter panel. Easy to prove she's at fault. Here, put this on. (neck brace)

17. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    At least in Washington, it is who gets there first, then who is on the right (if it is really close/multiple cars get there at the same time.)

18. I heard back from my insurance yesterday. They are going to stick by me, and deny any claim she makes. Apparently, during her interview she said some pretty damning things, so it looks like it will be all her fault.

I don't think she should be driving, if you can't see a small sports car more that 20' away. Or, as my dad said last night, she's Non Compis Motorist.:D

Rock on
    Eric