1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just got into vinyl. Anyone else love it?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by aarono, Apr 25, 2010.

1. aarono

aarono

Feb 14, 2006
    Minnesota
    I got a free record player from a thrift store the other day after testing it out and the employee not being able to get it to work. Out of frustration he just said I could have it. A new belt and needle later I think I'm a vinyl junkie.

Anyone have recommendations for a record that is a must have? I have most of the essentials so far (Frampton Comes Alive! all of early Aerosmith, ELO, Thorogood, etc.). I must say record stores are out of their tree when I see their prices for Beatles and Zepplin albums but there's an old saying about prices and if people will pay them.

I'm finding with vinyl I expand my listening experience as well. I no longer just skip songs I don't like and look for the ones I do as I would on a CD. I usually throw the disc on, have a beer and just listen to the whole album.

P.S. Rocks by Aerosmith is a great album through and through.

2. EdHunter

EdHunter

Jan 14, 2010
    Dublin
    I prefer Toys in the Attic...

But based on my experience with LPs over the last year and a bit, these are some albums to get:
    Tres Hombres - ZZ Top
    In for the Kill - Budgie
    The Wall - Pink Floyd
    1916 - Motörhead
    All Sabbath up to Sabotage

There's some others, but I'm sure anything I'd mention will pop up as a matter of course on here.

3. JulienJeff

JulienJeff

Mar 1, 2009
    Belgium
    I like listening to vinyl. More and more. As you said, this is another way to listen to music. You just sit down and listen to the entire album, without skipping songs.

Almost all new albums are released in vinyl now.

A few recommendations:
    - Thom Yorke, eraser
    - Portishead, roseland nyc live
    - Neil Young, mirrorball
    - Arcade fire (both albums)
    - nine inch nails, with teeth

4. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    First Boston Album, says the SBassman.

5. I love listening to Led Zep IV on vinyl.

A band toured with the band I was with called Super 400.
    They pressed their new album to vinyl. I strongly reccomend
    checking it out.

6. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    Iron Butterfly

7. Never Mind The Bo.....s, Sex Pistols. Horrid on cd but a joy on vinyl.

8. i think alot of albums sound better on old vinyl compered to the modern cd reissues

like black sabbath's 1st album

i wasnt too big a fan of the cd reissues (to me sounded like they were just re-mixing it to make it more ipod friendly) but i got the vinyl and theres a real diffrence

BUT... one thing ive noticed is that major lables are seeing that vinyl is coming back into fashion so what ive seen them doing is remastering the vinyl and pricing it around £22 when you could easly go to a record store and get a copy for £12

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I detest vinyl. But, then again, I grew up with all the rumble, pops, and clicks that go along with it.

10. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Super 400 kicks ass!

11. Mugwump

Mugwump

Dec 26, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    I first got into vinyl about three years ago, now my girlfriend and I have a collection of nearly 2,000. And yes, we do listen to most of them on a regular basis, we have about 50 that are pure novelty.

As a big supporter of vinyl I have a few suggestions of places to check out.

My number one place to pick up records is at warehouse sales, you can find these fairly regularly in most densely populated areas. These are a great place to start your collection, you can find many essential recordings in the $1-3 range. Of course popular stuff in great condition, ie Beatles and Zep, you may have to check out the $5-12 boxes. These places are also great once your collection has filled out, at these prices these is no buyers remorse when you pick something up sight unheard.

The majority of my purchases here are of rare finds, band names that I have heard mentioned once in a conversation in a bar, a band member name that I recognize or just cover art that appeals to me.

Let me tell you, there is no better way to spend your Sunday morning than sifting through thousands of records sipping on Sam Adams surrounded by your kind of people.

A man to look up near you is John Kass of gojohnnygo.com I believe. He owns somewhere around 50,000 records and he loves to help beginner collectors get started.

And then my favorite website to get records when I feel I have too much money is bomprecords.com. They have the best selection of new pressings on both new and old garage and punk. Although this place is much more expensive than a local sale, you can find a lot cool stuff.

I hope this info can help you on your lifelong journey.

12. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    I like listening to vinyl only for classical music. Not only is that the lion's share of my ~600 piece collection, it's the only genre I regularly sit through a whole side of. Rock/pop/etc not so much.

13. JulienJeff

JulienJeff

Mar 1, 2009
    Belgium
    another one: Jeff Buckley, Mystery white boy. Listening to it right now and it sounds great !

14. If you want new releases on vinyl, buy off of amazon, they usually have them priced in the same range as a new release cd.

lowsound

15. +1

$11 off Amazon (plus some shipping) vs. $19 in a local store vs. 23 euro(!) in the Netherlands. :rolleyes:

16. I was big on vinyl a few years back, got bored, sold some, and recently got back into them. My record player isn't set up right now because I don't know where to put it. I had it set up by my movies, gaming systems, amps, etc. Unfortunately, mom and I rearranged the place, I got a bigger television, a bigger, aquarium, new stands, and the whole nine yards.

My collection isn't very large, but is comprised of mainly fast bands (powerviolence/grindcore fans would approve)

7"
    Agathocles / Mitten Spider - He Cared... They Don't / Leps In You Hood (Agromosh/2nd Pressing/Clear Green/500)
    Angel Hair - s/t (Gravity/Black)
    Caustic Christ - s/t (Havoc/Black)
    Caustic Christ - Government Job (Havoc/Seafoam Green Marble)
    Caustic Christ / R.A.M.B.O. (Busted Heads/Clear Blue)
    The Chitz / Existench - Unlearn / Government Gimp (Tobacco ****/Subprofit/Black/1000)
    City of Caterpillar / pg.99 - A Split Personality (Level Plane/4th Pressing/Green Marble/300)
    Conniption - s/t (Framework/Black)
    Get Destroyed - Burnt Offerings (To Live A Lie/Black)
    Monster X - To the Positive Youth (Gloom/Original Pressing/Gray Marble/Missing Insert)
    Oil - s/t (Commitment/Black)
    Outbreak - You Make Us Sick (Bridge 9/Clear Red Marble)
    The Red Scare - Jetset (Paralogy/Black)
    poopielist - A Cold Slap of Reality (Fired Up!/Clear)
    Slight Slappers - Over Come Pain (Crust/Black)
    So Be It - s/t (Rocket Punch/Black)
    Soul Compost - s/t (Nonsense/Black)
    Spazz / 25 Ta Life - Highway to Hellfest (No Label/Clear)
    Spazz / 25 Ta Life - Face Cover (No Label/Red/96 of 120)
    Swallowing **** - Let My Struggling Spirit In Itself Be Free (Spiral Objective/Black)
    System **** - Hell-O (Skud/Black)
    Unholy Grave - Nein (Farewell/MacGyver/Red and Black)
    Unholy Grave - Never Repeat (Haunted Hotel/Orange)
    Unholy Grave / Aberrant - Collapse EP / Wasted Future (Selfish ****er/Orange)
    Unholy Grave / Straight Edge Kegger (Blastcore/Toothpaste Green/First Pressing/225 of 400)
    Wake Up Call - Demo '05 (Moosejaw/Clear Blue)
    Yage - s/t (Level Plane/Black)

10"
    Hair Police / Crystal Fantasy (Liquid Death/Hello Pussy/Black/500)
    Infest - Mankind (Deep Six/Draw Blank)

12"
    City of Caterpillar - Demo and Live (Level Plane/Black/3000) 0678/3000
    Converge - Jane Doe 2xLP (Deathwish/COLOR/NUMBER)
    Infest - No Man's Slave (Deep Six)
    Lack Of Interest - Trapped Inside (Slap-A-Ham/Peach Marble)
    Misfits - Collection I (Plan 9/Caroline/Black)
    Wolves - art.culture.work (Coalition/3rd Pressing/Black/1000)
    v/a - XXX: Some Ideas Are Poisonous (Ebullition/Black/Missing Booklet)

Right now, I'm waiting for The Locust, Swallowing ****, the Unholy Grave albums, and Converge to arrive in the mail. Oh, I have a F*** on the Beach 10" picture disc coming in the mail as well.

The Locust and Swallowing **** are coming from a store in Montreal. I ordered them April 8th. I haven't seen them yet. Usually mail from that area within a week. I sent them an e-mail but they haven't responded.

My parents have a load of awesome vinyl from their younger days.

17. To Joe Gress: Cool! A Super 400 fan! They are friends of mine. We did several shows together. We're playing with them again in a couple months. Lori has been rocking some cool vintage short-scale basses because of her back problem.

They pressed their album to vinyl using the same lathe that ZZ Top used for all their albums in Memphis

18. GC4

GC4

Apr 6, 2008
    Toronto, Ontario
    I also recently got into vinyl as my girlfriends dad gave me his old turntable and record collection. A good collection of great rock acts of the 60's/70's/80's.

I love it. I am actually sitting down and listening to albums again instead of just playing them as background noise.

I still haven't figured out the nuances of keeping records dust free though. It's an art I tell ya!

Still, the small pops and cracks from dust just add to the organic sound that vinyl produces. I'm hooked!

19. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I'm a big fan of vinyl!

Some of my favorite records in my collection:

King Crimson - In the court of the Crimson King
    Jefferson Airplane - After bathing at Baxter's
    Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland
    Camel - Mirage
    Santana - Abraxas
    Deep Purple - Shades of Deep Purple
    Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon
    Herbie Hancock - Headhunters

20. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Actually I prefer the convenience, durability, and portability of CD's. I know CD sounds a little different from vinyl, but I don't have much of a stereo and I'm not that much of a purist. A piece of advice, though - I would digitize and archive any rare vinyl you have the first time you play it.