Just got me some Phil Jones...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jammadave, Aug 12, 2004.

1. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    One word: Unreal.

Got my Phil Jones 6-pak last night. :hyper:

It's unreal in a few ways. the first thing I noticed is this sonofagun is HEAVY. It's the same weight as both my aggies put together. Thank heaven for the luggage handle - just need to put some stair treads on the back to really make it as portable as it looks. =0)

Then I plugged it in. Flipped the power switch and was blinded by the big blue power light =0)

I tried all my basses with it, and all I can say is, the impressive amount of power and volume for ~200W struck me first.

Next up was the compressor, barely noticeable at either extreme and perfect for limiting your peaks.

And of course, the extensive EQ section. Here's where I go "duhhhh" - I could fiddle all day and not know what sounds great or what sounds awful, I could use a knowledgeable friend to help me dial in certain tones.

I've always been a bass/mid/treb guy, so the parametric is where I started first - but the variable Q of each section threw me off a bit - I boosted the mids to get an idea of the knob range where you can hear it best, and the mid-Q knob sounded like an awesome wah pedal as I moved it around.

The Graphic came next - I set it up all wavy-like, the way I usually set up a graphic for guitar (because I've only had graphic EQ 'sperience with guitar) - with humps in the areas "between" lo and mid, and mid and high, and everything else at zero or so. Nice amouunt of flexibility and the sheer amount of boost you can have is incredible, although I dont know if it made my sound better or worse =0)

(since I believe the EQ sections are each footswitchable, I may identify alternate go-to tones and just leave them set for switching in and out like effects.)

Anyways, the real prize is no-EQ. I dont know if any other review says this, but the amp sounds "throaty". Especially on my Modulus, there was this je-ne-sais-quoi that just plain sounded cool. Now, I liked my GS112 tone a bunch, but this was just wild. Those little drivers push out the harmonic content. My Warwick sounded exactly as it always has, which is a good thing because it's this "signature" sound and you'd know if it were badly colored. And the Fodera - surprisingly not pushing as hot as the Modulus, I could barely MAKE the limiter light come on even when slapping. =0) But again, sounded awesome. Heh, I also noticed I need to pull the bass side of the pup a tad closer to the E on the Fodera.

I generally feel like boosting my bass knob on all basses these days, just from a "more power, grunt grunt" standpoint, and the 6Pak shot it right back at me with all the low end I was afraid it couldn't do. Don't know why I was afraid, exactly, but now I know that the dropoff at about 50Hz and below, that you see on the response chart on the PJB site, doesn't translate to your ear at all. Between EQ on your bass, and the two separate EQ sections on the amp, you could conceivably shake your house down. (well, I'll concede I have a small house) - I may even need a gramma pad test to see just how much of the rumble is from coupling with my hardwood floor. But at this point, I don't care, I'm just drinkin' it in.

Five-inch speakers to rule them all, and in the lowend bind them.
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Sorry Phil, I'm out.

3. jammadave

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Well, I know 88 lbs is heavy to deadlift, but definitely think about the rolling-it-like-an-airplane-bag possibility. I got away from the larger stuff just so I would have to *carry* as much. With this, it only needs point-point lifting (such as cars, stairs, etc), and can roll in between.
  4. jammadave

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Update: Took it to an audition today, with mixed but mostly good results. Here's the setup:

-1x drummer, hits pretty hard if he's confident about the tune but is not Mongo Kill Drums.
    -1x guitarist with 212 combo and deathmetal distortion. (EDIT: the *style* of music wasn't exactly heavy metal, but the distorted parts were indeed heavy)
    -no vocals today
    -awful acoustics (basically a warehouse)
    -I was playing my Fodera.

Okay, so the 6pak I got intimate with today from a couple aspects. Moving it around, and playing with a band.

As for moving it, it was sort-of hard to lift into and out of the car, but easy to roll behind me on flat ground. Getting it out of my house was easy, as I "walked" it down my front steps (just 2) and then rolled away. Getting it back in the house was a little more difficult as it had to be lifted - I'm going to look into adding something to the back to allow it to be pulled up curbs and stoops with minimal friction. All in all, the pros outweighed the cons as I only had to make 1 trip everywhere, and there were no stairs to deal with - if this amount of weight were in a larger format (like those tall Eden 410 combos) it'd be *perceived as* more easy to move. The size throws you off a little =0).

Playing with the guys was interesting - they were immediately impressed with sound and volume from the little guy. However, I do need to EQ it to have more presence. Here's why: Leaving it all flat, I had to push it uncomfortably hard (no damage or hard-clipping, but the red light flickered a few times) to get the volume I needed for the clean parts, and I didn't want to push it further to get more when the guitarist hit his distortion.

BUT, don't let that make you think the 6 pak wasn't at all up to it. Over the course of the time, I moved the EQ around a bit, the guitarist realized his distortion level was wayyy higher than his clean level, and one big thing I keep forgetting: My Fodera's Bass knob boosts SO much that it can make anything clip at input (pedals, amp heads, etc), so I backed it back down to flat to stop the speakers from taking a trip wayyy out on every transient. MUCH better.

- And the other big problem was the wall-o-reverb the entire place was constantly awash in. Awful place to play. And I think I'd be able to hear myself better without that for sure.

When I got home I decided to test out my thoughts, make sure it really is powerful enough for my applications. I played with the graphic EQ to get the "sound in my head", then started adjusting the input and output levels. Thus far with my bass set flat and input at 6 (assuming the middle is 5), I can get the master up to 7 or 8 with no real distortion, I think. Hard for me to tell, lots of things rattling in the room like that =0). I can also use the parametric to add more mids when necessary for cutting thru. I'm going to keep dialing.

Overall, I'm keepin the Pak around awhile. And I think that my preferences for way less distorted guitar are going to help me get the most of it. Metalheads may not need apply, but for everybody else, PJB deserves a look.
  5. Cool, they look awesome, I am glad it worked out for you :D

6. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Glad you liked it! :) One thing I could suggest is to get another cab for additional headroom. It doesn't have to be big, but the sound really does improve greatly. The Aguilar might have made a good addition. Another thing I noticed is cutting 30hz all the way helps alot in making an overall thighter louder tone. Of course your results may vary.
  7. andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    im interested in how the folded-horn + 16x5 cabinet sounds.

how would the six-pak compare to a 4x10 rig with 800 watts? i know thats a huge wattage difference but with another PJB cab it would probably blow it away
  8. jammadave

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Not even close to 800W and 4x10. Best approximation I can do is it's just a little louder than my GK700 running a *single* GS112. And if my situation changes to where I need to be LOUD, i'm likely going back to 12s. The PJB M500 head (present in the 6 pak) would probably work really well with that setup too, though.
  9. ryanowens

ryanowens Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2004
    If any of you are intersted in the Phil Jones line I have a few pieces available at great prices. I have the M-500 and 2 cabs (9b and 6T)
    Great Prices!!

email me at ryan.owens@earthlink.net