1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just got Microsoft Office 2011

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Kwesi, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Normally, I wouldn't be this happy to have a new version of MO but Microsoft really did it right this time :). 2008 was... meh. It seemed really sluggish, was a bit of a resource hog, and the layout was nothing like it's Windows counterpart. It made switching between the two really troublesome and I found myself going back and forth often. Anyway, big ups M-soft, yuh done good. Yuh done good...

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I didn't like 2010 for Windows, and switched back to 2007.

-Mike

3. Can I ask why? I haven't had much experience with 2010 for windows apart from installing it on a few friends computers. IT didn't look too much different beside the fact that it had less blue and more grey.

4. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Is this for a Mac, kwesi?

5. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Mostly, I'm still learning 2007.

I also don't like how it looked, and was getting too many "this copy of blah blah blah was from a previous version of Office so you need to convert it to 2010" messages. I don't have the energy or desire to convert my documents, so I'll do it some other day.

-Mike

6. There aren't many MS things I do like, but Outlook is one of them (Word is another).

7. Ya' it is :)

8. Word and excel are two things that Microsoft has done well.

lowsound

9. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    It's done right indeed. I'm impressed by the fact that it handles even the most complex of copy-paste RTF texts. I'd buy a beer to the guy who made it handle InDesign paragraph styles correctly.

10. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Wow that is impressive. I switched over to iWorks recently because I found that my Office was getting buggy in 10.5.

11. Ditto on the bugginess but I just couldn't dig iWorks. I was just so used to Office that I couldn't happily make the switch.

12. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    No joke, I was awed. Although there's no setting I could find that would remove the "3 point-width dashed line 1 pica before the paragraph" setting, mysteriously :p

13. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    The new ribbon menus can take some adjustments, but after the initial awkwardness, I like it much better. Outlook 2010 is the best part of all to me. The new conversation view has been a lifesaver for me.

14. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Haha...I don't like the conversation view in the new Outlook. After about 45 seconds of trying to get rid of it, I gave up and un-installed 2010.

-Mike

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I love Office 2010. It's what got me back to Office from using OpenOffice for years. All the instant preview features are great and PowerPoint '10 is killer.

bc

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm running 2008 because I no longer get the student discount on MS Office... AKA, I'll be upgrading when I go to grad school...

17. I am rocking Office 2002 at home for that very reason. At work we aren't much further along. It seems like the bigger the company, the slower they are to upgrade.

18. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    haha...resistance is futile! You will be assimilated! :D

19. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    One of my clients decided to finally upgrade from Internet Explorer 6 (yes! finally!) to Internet Explorer 7 (lolwat?).

20. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    Open Office has always been a lot more win IMHO.

I've been happy so far with 2007 on my clients. No reason to upgrade licensing for years to come.

Glad you're happy with it.