Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just got my 1st American Fender!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ebladeboi123, Mar 11, 2006.

1. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Well it's my birthday tomorow, and my mom at lunch tells me we should go look at some basses, and see what I want. So I'm not going to complain with this- she takes me to the local store, and so the battle begins. It comes down to a Sterling and this American Deluxe Fender Precision (P / MM).

I was looking at the specs of the fender, and I noticed it has a "pan pot" for pickup switching. Is that just the same as a Blend pot? If so, how do I "use it correctly."

Anyway, as you can tell by the title, I decided to got with the fender. Got it used for a good deal (compared it to ebay deals, and mine was cheaper). I know the rules- no pics, no exist. So look for pics in a few days or so. I'll get to try it out tonight at some benifit show. Hopefully it sounds good in a band setting. :bassist:

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im sorry about your choice.

*sterling fan*

Different strokes for different folks.

3. T-Funk

T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    USA
    Congratulations! The Fender American Deluxe Precisions are awesome basses. I am quite sure you will enjoy it!

Ted

4. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Well i really really liked the sterling. My only complaint was it sounded to much like my modulus (to aggressive). I needed a more mellow bass.

5. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Wait, Fenders had MM pups? When did they start with this?! All I knew of was the big block...

Anyways, just to let you know, with most basses (or at least with my 2 ibanezes :p) the blend pot is used by well, turning it. Turn it toward the neck pup and thats what the focus will shift to.

Anyways, have fun with it....

6. Quest

Quest

Mar 22, 2004
    Nice purchase, and happy birthday.

My birthday was 3 days ago, and I got an Ampeg 410 cab.

7. T-Funk

T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    USA
    Since 2004, the American Deluxe Precisions have been manufactured with the double J humbucker pickup near the bridge.

Ted

8. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    It´s not a MM pup actually, its more like 2 J pups put together. The American Deluxe P-bass series has them since 1999(?).

9. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Oh. Yup, definately almost freaked out for a moment, don't know why...

10. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    Congrats!
    +1 to Fender! i just scored a 78' jazz that is nice!

The Pan pot is the same as Blend knob. Fully towards the bridge you'll have onlt the MM pup. Fully towards the neck you'll have only the P pup, and in the midle you'll have both.

Rock :bassist:

11. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I think both basses are fantastic. No wrong choice there.

12. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    They came out some time in 1994.

13. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    'Im sorry about your choice.'

I'm not.....congratulations on a great bass! ;)

Fender fan

14. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Mobile, Al.
    Congrats!

Sterling vs. MIA Deluxe P-bass...I don't think I could've made that choice. :D