Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just got my amp.. LIMIT LIGHT?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SpeeDFX, Apr 28, 2002.

1. SpeeDFX

SpeeDFX

Apr 14, 2002
    I just got my used USED CRATE B80 XL yesturday. I don't have my bass guitar yet (that comes wednesday) but I hooked it up to my keyboard and set the keyboard tone to Bass Guitar...I turned the amp up to about half volume and started hitting the lowest note on my keyboard, and evertime I hit this note a green light on my amp would light up, and it says "limit" right next to it. Does that mean my amp is going to blow up or something?

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hey! B80XL! That's my old amp! No, the light means jack. I've maxed the thing in all sorts of ways, for hours on end, and nothing ever came of it. I, like you, was worried for a bit, but if you're going to play at any volume, it's your little friend! :) The amp never clipped or cut out, I think the limit light just means you're sending peak signal, not output...

3. I have a Crate w/ the same feature but its got some kinda limiter thing built into it so you can turn everything all the way up and it just wont reach levels that high. I think. Brenden worded it alot better than i did

4. SpeeDFX

SpeeDFX

Apr 14, 2002
    What do you mean by "sending peak signal"?

5. by "peak" is like the amps way of saying I can't go much louder.but just ignore it. my Ampeg has two lights: a green one and red one.the red one is like as loud as it possibly goes (yeah right).don't sweat it.

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    What Bass 182 said. The thing is sending it's maxium signal/power to the speaker. In a combo, I doubt they'd put enough power to blow/overpower the speaker, so the light is useless...