Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just got my Avatar B115H!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wushuguy, May 7, 2003.

1. wushuguy

wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Now all I need is an amp. :meh:

I'm picking up a Gallien-Krueger 400rbIII on Friday from GC. When the 400rbIV comes out, they're going to let me take that home, and see which one I like best, and keep the better. This is my first rig, so I'm pretty excited. :bassist:

I'm taking the Avatar to my class on Monday, to try it out and compare with my teachers rig. Right now he's using a SWR 350 head, Hartke 4x10XL, and a SWR Big Ben 118. If anyone is interested, I'll let you know what I think.

I'm happy. :D :bassist:

2. WASHBURNGUY

WASHBURNGUY

Dec 28, 2002
    wow thats cool of them!! i didnt know thed let ya do that..you know someone that works there or something..id love to be able to do that with some heads i want..im thinking i want the hartke 5000..but intrested to know how you like yours!
    hope it sounds killer!!

3. wushuguy

wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I don't think they'll let me have both at the same time (without being in the store). I'm sure I'll have to bring the rbIII back then take the rbIV. We'll see. Either way, I'll get to try them both before I decide which one to keep.

4. WASHBURNGUY

WASHBURNGUY

Dec 28, 2002
    OHH yeah im sure its like that but damn still thats awsome of them your gc rocks!

5. WASHBURNGUY

WASHBURNGUY

Dec 28, 2002
    im not to familliar with gallian krugers i see a lot of peeps recomend them though. im in search of a head myself.
    i have a peavey 400 (old as hell itself lol) works nice..but want something brand new bassiclly
    and want to be able to run 2 cabs if needed at 4 ohm cuz my 15"cab is 4 ohm peavey black widow
    but my head is 2 ohm stable ..so at least need the 5000 hartke i think thats what im gonna go with..if i can sell my bass

6. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I'm in the same situation :D

I just ordered an Avatar B410. Yet lack the funds to buy the amp :) I was giving a lot of thought to the GK400... Let me know what you think of the 400rbIII.

7. wushuguy

wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I'll let you know, but the 400rbIV comes out at the end of the month. It would probably be best to wait to try or hear about that one before you decide to buy the rbIII.

edit: the 400rbIV is "supposed" to come out at the end of the month.

8. incognito89x

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Ok. What's new about the rbIV?

9. wushuguy

wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    This is a post from Daniel Elliott from GK:

"Hi guys,
    sorry to be late to the game. They have me swamped at work. The 100RB-II will be out toward the end of May. GC doesn't have them yet. I've been using a lab sample for several weeks. This amp kicks butt!!! The 700RB and 400RB also got a power boost and facelift. Prices will be the same. The 1001RB-II also got some significant internal component and design upgrades and improvements. Better input jack, sturdier preamp board, etc."

He said the 400rbIV got the same upgrades as the 1001rb-II.

So, the difference is more power (additional 40W), internal component and design upgrades, and a new look. :bassist:

10. incognito89x

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Sounds nice... Let's see if my patience can keep up with the release :p

11. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    and there the same price? WOW!
    great customer relations there

steve

12. Please tell me how Avatar and the GK400 sound like...I am thinking about getting the same set-up when I find a band...

thanks!

13. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    So... how do you like it? Are you using the 400rbIII in a band setting? Is the 400 loud enough (did you get the 4 or 8 ohm cab)? How did the other amps sound through the b115? Give us the lowdown on what you think of the new rig!!! :D :bassist:

14. wushuguy

wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Well, I can't really tell you how good it is because there is a problem with the GK. When I first got it set up at any significant volume, it was making the Avatar fart. I'm not talking about a little whistler. I'm talking full bowel movement. It was a really bad sound. I have another thread about it around here a few pages back. To make a long story short, I took my rig over to my teachers and mixed and matched with his. We found that there was a problem with preamp on the GK. This was the floor model, so that could explain the problem. They have another on order for me. I'll let you know what I think once I get a working amp.

For the Avatar itself, it sounds pretty good. I hooked it up to my teachers SWR 350, and Hartke 4x10 XL Series. It certainly didn't sound bad, but didn't sound anywhere near as good as the same set up with the Big Ben in place of the Avatar. That Big Ben is a glorious cab. I will own one one day. :bassist: For the money I paid for the Avatar though, I'm not in the least bit dissapointed.