Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just got my bass and amp, what do y'all think!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pipes on bass, May 8, 2005.

1. I just got a Yamaha BB 414 (orange metalic) it is sick lookin. I couldn't believe how good it sounded. I'm a rookie, but I had a bass player with me, he played the same riff on a Fender p-bass (used), a nice lookin Ibenez, a cheap lookin Samick, a Squire, i think thats it (had to stay in my price range). I was amazed that the Yamaha was the best sounding of them all! To go with my new bass I got me the "Big Daddy" Fender rumble 100 bass amp. I know Fender isn't really known for bass amps, but for the price, damn you should see this beast (60 lbs). Sounds dynamite too, although the yamaha sounded good on all the amps we plugged in (some amps were just too pricy)Now I just need to learn to play. Anyway, I was out here about a month ago askin questions, well everything took a little longer to get organized, but this is the stuff I got (wish I had a scanner, or somethin to give you a pic.) Give me some feedback please (good and bad, but either way, if you heard this yamaha rip, you'd love it)!

:bassist:
    Pipes on bass :bassist:

2. Syeknom

Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    It's a brilliant idea when starting bass to find a bass that's right for you and really makes you enthusiastic about playing - that yahama sounds like it does it for you =)

Good luck with it!

3. Just screwin around, and got me a signiture now, so I thought I'd reply to my own thread, lol. I'm interested to see what some of the experienced bassist have to say about my new equipment. The bass player that came with me to play the riffs and stuff, was surprised how much he liked the sound, so I'd like some other opinions from some experienced players (good and bad feedback welcome). So you know, buddy that helped me, has 2 killer basses, ones a Warrick (not sure on model, but its sick - over $2000 Canadian), the other is a new pretty simple 4 string Bongo (he didn't like the look, until he heard the sound!), I love both his basses, but too much money for me as a newb. But I do trust his advise, and he let me express my views before throwin his opinions in. He does like a wide variety other then what he has (he got the Warrick 2nd hand in mint shape at almost half price, and the Bongo was all about a sound that went good with the Warrick, but was completely different!) After all was said and done, he thought I had dynamite stuff for a beginner, and at a reasonable cost! Any way, I look forward to readin the replies in here tommorrow (I know its late tonight, I was jammin on my new bass all night at another buddy's - sounded nice with the Fender Tele, even though me and the guy jammin are both newbs! Just played some simple tabs, to get a feel, and a little bit of pickin).

PS - I'm pumped, lol.
    :hyper: :bassist: :hyper: :bassist: :cool: :bassist: :hyper: :bassist: :hyper:

4. Bass_Machine

Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    UK
    Well, you have chosen wisely. I've been playing for 2 years, and my setup is a yamaha bb604 and a fender rumble 100. :) Join the crew. :bassist:

5. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Congrats on the new bass. Sounds like you might have stayed up all night playing it! If you take good care of your bass starting now, she will look and play as good long down the road. Sound like you got a great buy :cool:

6. keith phelps

keith phelps

Sep 25, 2002
    Great buy. Good idea to take an experienced player with you. That Yamaha will be perfect to start on and will continue to serve you well as you progress. No need to upgrade in a year (unless you get GASSY). I wish I had done it that way. Started on a $75 P-Bass knock off with clothesline high action.

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    good deal bud, you're starting out on some real quality gear. congrats.

8. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    philadelphia
    :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

9. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Yamahas are always good instruments. The orange BB is sick. I used to not like orange basses, but orange is starting to grow on me and that bass looks best in orange.

And a 100 watt amp. Sweet. And Fender amps are no slouches. Frank Bello plays through Fender amps with Helmet. I tried a Fender Rumble 100 and while the tone/voicing wasn't to my taste, I could definitely see it kicking butt with the right musician.

Your idea of taking a more experienced bassist with you out shopping is an excellent idea.

I think I speak for many of us in that back when I was starting out (10 years ago for me), I wish I could have gotten gear that nice. It was a cheapie Ibanez bass and 15-watt Crate combo for me and I outgrew them quickly. I don't think you'll outgrow your gear too quickly, and if you do rise up in the ranks to a higher-end bass, I am certain you'll keep your BB as a backup.

It's amazing that you found your tone pretty much from the get go. Many of us are still gear swapping in order to find "the" tone. I'm also glad you took your time and got gear you really wanted and that fuels your lust to make you want to play daily, even when you have no time to.

10. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Congratulations! :bassist:

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Great gear. I play the older version of your Yamaha in the fretless variety (BB404F) and I too was suprised at the quality and sound of the bass. It gets regular play next to my $1000 Vintage Fender Precision, so that's definately saying something about sound and feel. The amp is a great choice too, glad your excited about your gear, it's the greatest feeling in the world!

12. Thanks for everything! When I was out here a month ago, some veterans gave me some tips. Bringing a bassist with me was obvious (my brother in-law is in a band, and I got to know his bass player). This forum recommended that I have a bassist with me when purchasing. I was gettin a little frustrated, cause I had the cash a month ago, and wanted to get a setup right away, but this was well worth the wait.
    Again, thanks to all!

13. You show a lot of maturity by waiting to get your gear! A lot of us... well... myself at least, have done the opposite and wished later that we had taken more time to find the right bass.

Good luck!

14. Nice setup man! Congratulations! :bassist: