1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just Got My Bass Big Muff

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by GrooveWarrior, Mar 25, 2009.

1. This thing is no joke!

I'm loving it so far. I'll try to post clips if I can get to it.

2. AndyW83

AndyW83

Feb 18, 2009
    i just got one 2 days ago also!

3. 18eranaRic

18eranaRic Banned

Mar 7, 2009
    Malibu, USA
    su-weeet. Let us know how it goes!

4. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    it can really do a huge range of fuzz sounds. the control knobs are really powerful.

i don kinda wish they'd make a second version based on the BLACK russian muff, though

5. ThunderV

ThunderV Is getting yelled at by his cat!! Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2007
    Brunswick, OH
    Got one two weeks ago, lovin' it especially the dry mode!!!!!!

6. Yeah, the dry mode sounds great.

7. ha!

8. bassforce

bassforce Guest

Feb 7, 2007
    I have one great fuzz now ( Mefisto ), but I'm considering buying Bass Big Muff.
    Do you with it's worth it? Anyone tried both this pedals?
    Aren't two fuzzes and overdrive too much in pedalboard? :D

9. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    you can never have too many fuzzes... assuming they sound different. And that you like fuzz.

I haven't used a Mephisto but it doesn't appear to be nearly as versatile as the BBM. Also, the Mephisto probably really isn't designed for bass. Not that that's a problem if you like the sound of it, but the BBM is really a swiss army knife of bass fuzz.

10. bassforce

bassforce Guest

Feb 7, 2007
    Mefisto IS designed for bass. I'ts pretty straightforward fuzz with not so big gain range and different sound varieties as BBM. And the MAGIC of Muff is SO appealing!!

11. The BBM is actually the second fuzz in my pedalboard. I have a Bass Blogger that I use in front of a Bassballs (in the A loop of my Boss LS-2) and it sounds great for that purpose. I haven't set it in stone, but I think I am going to put the BBM outside of the two LS-2 loops altogether.

12. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    thank you for the correction. I had one of Bogdan's Tonebenders and it sounded very nice on bass despite not being designed for it

13. bassforce

bassforce Guest

Feb 7, 2007
  14. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    yes i know the difference between these two pedals. But the mephisto samples do not interest me at all... nor do they interest many other folks here... at least I have not heard much enthusiasm about the mephisto here on talkbass. We tend to be very selective about our fuzz pedals around here

i think Bogdan should have stayed with the tonebender, but imporved the tone range for bass. If he had done that, I would have kept my Bogdan Tonebender

15. bassforce

bassforce Guest

Feb 7, 2007
    Yeah I wonder why there's not much enthusiasm about the mephisto / polish hate.
    It's pretty hard to record it in home but I think there's nothing wrong about it.
    I recorded it today - straight into PC, without any preamp http://mazdah.wrzuta.pl/audio/n3pGF5yefy/ ( hard to play anything without hearing it :/ ) What can U say?

I am going to buy Big Muff anyway, "the GAS is strong with this one" ;)

16. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    i think the thing is that (in the US at least) the BBM and other very flexible fuzzes are available for less than the Mephisto.

Or maybe nobody thinks it sounds good. Besides Chronicle.

17. Glad to see the good reviews. I bought a used one off Ebay on Monday. In transit! :hyper:

18. gribuski

gribuski

Aug 7, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I just got one last weekend...I haven't had a chance to use it on my real rig yet (just my practice one), but I love it so far.

I've got a gig this weekend and I just might get a little fuzz happy. :hyper:

19. Fetzu

Fetzu

Sep 6, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Another happy BBM user here. I love the "Dry" mode.

20. Wasted Bassist

Wasted Bassist

Nov 11, 2008
    Fargo, ND
    I'm getting one (now that I actually have moneys). I think it'll be nice to have some grit to match the gritiness of my gui****s.