just got my bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slapcracklepop, Jul 6, 2005.

1. slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Hey all, I just got my first bass. It's a Squier Affinity Series P-Bass in Metallic Blue. They didn't have any black, but I'm glad because this blue looks really nice, anyway I'll get to the point..

I'm very happy with the guitar, its a great value but im having a few problems.

The Amp - I get a constant buzzing, what could this be caused by? Bad cord? Volume too high?

The Strings - The strings also buzz and sometimes dont play right, do I need to do some adjusting or just buy aftermarket strings?

Any other suggestions you have are greatly appreciated, thanks.
    :bassist: rock on
  2. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    There could be a couple of problems that I know of. First, It might be the guitar. The pots could be dirty which is causing the buzzing noise in the amp. I've also run into problems where the current coming into the house, or wherever I'd been playing actually causes a buzzing if it's not grounded right.
  3. slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Pots? Newbie to bass, sorry
  4. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003

Buzz on an Affinity?
    Maybe grounding.
    Have it checked out.

Every new Bass needs a set-up.
    The set-up should be included in the purchase price
    if bought from a retail outlet.

Have new strings you like best (or want to try)
    put on for the set-up.

Everytime you change brands or gauges of string
    chances you'll need to have the set-up tweaked.
  5. jazzblade

Jun 21, 2005
    Northern Cal
    Congrats slapcracklepop.

Fingerblister is right . You should get it set up for the style of playing your going to do. Tell him if you are planning on slapp/pop, finger/pick.. and how light or heavy a touch you want in the strings.

As to the amp buzz... Is it always there? Does it change when you move to another loaction in your house? Are you standing in front of your computer screen or a 65 inch TV when you hear it? Try moving around and see if its something in the room thats causing the buzz.
  6. doublemuff216

Jun 14, 2004
    Astoria NY
    I've noticed a buzz in a few squier precisions. As far as i can recall it was the pots. They could be dirty. But try stuff out. Try it on different amps and in different locations. AWAY FROM CELL PHONES! Mine interferes like CRAZY.
    A setup is always helpful too. (try Rotosound strings...my personal favorite...they sound great on precision basses IMO...they last long too)
    Fingerblister is right... could be grounding too... does the buzzing die down a bit when you touch the strings or the bridge?
  7. Bruce B

Bruce B

Sep 2, 2004
    Does the noise from the amp stop or lessen when you put your hand on the strings?

The string buzz you mention is probably what is called fretbuzz. Your bass might need a setup but it's also caused by technique. Have you ever played a fretted instrument before? Put your finger right behind the fret you are playing and not in the middle of two frets. That's a common problem for beginners.
  8. TheNerdBass

Jun 30, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    Can you explain how to stop this? my bass does this too. I don't think my dad knew how to install my new pickups.
  9. Bruce B

Bruce B

Sep 2, 2004
    It's usually a grounding problem. Could be a bad connection like a cold solder joint. Bad cables can cause it too. If it started after installing new pickups you probably need to redo the wiring joints.
  10. OblivionBass

Jul 3, 2005
    Did you get the starting fender squire pak? Cause when I first got mine, my amp didnt have buzzing, but after a short while it started to buzz like crazy, and thats when I needed a new amp.
  11. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    This problem has happened with my Squier TWICE. It is what Bruce B is talking about, the solder joint comes undone, if this is the problem you may have to re-solder it back to the output jack, or what i did, was take my strap and put the cable connected to my bass through one end of the strap and connect the other end of the strap to the bass. It works but is very uncomfortable after awhile. So you might want to try doing that or re-soldering, funny thing is when i re-soldering it came undone again. Right now it just sits on my stand i cant even plug it into a amp. :(
  12. slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Sorry for the late response. The buzzing only stops when my Tone knob is all the way down, also my guitar volume knob might play a role in this..

The knobs came very loose, like a loose tooth almost, and dont seem durable at all