Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just got my Conklin GT-BD7 in the mail

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, May 29, 2002.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I got my Bill Dickens model Conklin in the mail today. I love this thing! I purchased it from TB's own Mrfretless, who was incredibly helpful and informative (good qualities in a seller) and it's in superb condition. The sound, playability, and appearance and huge steps above the Samick fiver I've been playing for almost six years. The seven-string is a whole new ballgame. This is a pic that Mrfretless took. It really is a beautiful bass, and the closest I've ever come to a "higher end" instrument. I'd recommend this bass very highly.

2. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    Nice........I had enough problems with a 5 string........that thing would give me nightmares:eek:

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Niiiiice!

I love the Conklin 7s...so much bass goodness that it makes the mouth drool!

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Cool, man! Looks like a real beauty. I love my Roscoe 7. Welcome to the world of extended range.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Thanks guys.

Yeah, it is a real beauty. Right now I'm having a good time figuring out all the knobs and switches. Does anyone know the best solution to use to clean the purpleheart fingerboard (JT?) ? I know purpleheart is naturally oily, so I figured something other than lemon oil would work best.

6. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    welcome to the club! if you are experiencing the same as i did, your playing is going through a bit of a revalation. it still sounds like you, but there are little things that change. playing a 4 string every now and then, i notice these changes.

7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    beautiful axe!! congrats! the electronics are a bit overwhelming- but when you get it under your belt... look out! and Bill Conklin is as cool as they come.. hi, Bill!!!!!

8. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I don't think you can get much closer than a Conklin my friend :) they are really high-quality instruments. And I must say yours is a very nice axe :). But I'll stick with the 5-string beast. Hope you enjoy your bass for a long long time Diff..

take her easy,

jim

9. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Originally posted by Eric Cioe
    Actually, it was my ever-evolving playing style is what instigated my switch from five to seven to begin with. I've only had this thing for twelve hours and already I'm experimenting with things like chordal overlays and tapping, things I rarely tried before. And a note to anyone with small hands: the Conklin BD-GT7 isn't impossible to play at all. I have fairly small hands (middle finger is 3.5" and pinky is 2.5"), and as long as your left hand thumb is used properly, you can access all the frets quite easily. It was reading posts by John Turner that helped convince me that smaller hands did not mean extended range instruments are a no-no, so thank you John. Here's another pic of the new guy:

10. 'Tis one beautiful instrument says I.

11. cap

cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    :( Man...how come i can never get a 7 string bass in the mail all i ever get is letters saying im pre approved for a visa gold... :confused: :(

O well....Nice looking bass man!

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    cool for you -good luck with it, glad i could be some help.

as for cleaning the purple heart, i'm not sure there is anything you can do to get it bright red again. you might want to email bill conklin and ask him - conklin@conklinguitars.com

13. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Very nice bass! Hey if you ever get to southern missouri e-mail me and i will take you to get a beer and go to conklin shop to look at all there beast! Its fuuuuuunnnnn!

14. Hey man....

I'm glad you like the bass.

I'm starting to miss already.... just looking at that empty stand over in the corner......

.... sigh........

But the new DP is on order.

Enjoy.