Just got my Crown :(

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by scottman72, Aug 27, 2013.

1. I decided to bite the bullet and go for lightweight so I bought a B stock Crown XLS 1500. It was going to replace my QSC GX-3 to save a few pounds. The Crown sounded absolutely awesome when I tried it at a local music store, but when I put it in my rack unit I was quickly disappointed with the amount of output the Crown has compared to the QSC. I haved checked the settings on the Crown and I'm definitely in the correct "Mono/Bridge mode" for a single bass cabinet. Considering the Crown should be pushing 1550 watts in that setting and the QSC is pushing 500 watts in Mono/Bridge, it doesn't have near the volume I was expecting. Has anyone had similar experiences with lightweight power amps? Thanks.

2. Does that have an input sensitivity switch? What are you driving it with, and what cabs are you using?

3. what kind of 1550 watts?

maybe it needs more input than the QSC. Just a thought

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Assuming the amp is working as it should, I'd be inspecting the input sensitivity vs. the input sensitivity of your old amp. My guess is that its looking for more signal on the front end rather than lacking power on the speaker side.

5. Sounds like there is an issue with the amp. I have worked with these amps in the live sound realm and for a single cab (assuming 4ohm) you should be getting a nice thump. Make sure all of the internal filters are set correctly. I would start by doing a factory reset on the unit.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If you bought your QSC used, it may have special input sensitivity.

When I bought my QSC PLX-2402 a long time ago, I ordered it with custom input sensitivity to match with my (former) low output Pearce BC-1 preamp. There was no charge for that and no change in lead time as I was told that sound companies order specials all the time and it was no big deal for changes.

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    His profile shows:

Current Setup:
    78 Fender Precision, Stuart Spector 5 string, Line 6 Bass Pod Pro, QSC power amps, GK 410 cabs

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Is the limiter engaged? If so, that's your problem. Turn it off. But be careful about your volume. Turning up will surely blow your speakers if not careful.

9. CharlieC

CharlieC

Aug 20, 2010
    New York, NY
    In addition to setting the XLS to Mono/Bridge mode, one must also use a specially wired Speakon cable on the amp side (+1/+2)

Use of a standard Speakon cable (+1/-1) will still result in output, but at a far less expected level as you have described.

Cheers!

10. And that doesnt clarify which pre he was using at the store, or what cab he was using at the store (or really at home for that matter).

11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    The 'standard' input sensitivity of the QSC is 1.2vrms and the Crown lists 1.4vrms, so there's is a difference there, plus any other non-stock options.

12. gard0300

gard0300

Jan 10, 2011
    Vandalia, Ohio
    That's where my money is at. This amp is plenty powerful enough.

13. flatfender

flatfender Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit

This! (You have to have the NL4 Speakon end IIRC)

I use a XLS2000 in bridge mode (2100w) & properly wired cable with a RBI as a preamp. Makes my pants flap with 2-4x10 cabinets.

14. gerryjazzman

gerryjazzman

Dec 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    I have an XLS1000 and could drive it into protect mode with an Eden Navigator or an old Carvin PB15 preamp. My guess is the input sensitivity. It is 1.4V so it takes a lot to drive this thing. Looking at the manual for the Line 6 (assuming that is what the OP is using), it has a switch for Live/Studio use:

Studio Mode – Flick the Live/Studio switch to the Studio position, and you
    get a pair of XLR balanced +4dBu outputs, as well as a pair of 1/4 inch
    unbalanced -10dBV connections. Both carry the same Modeled and D.I.
    signals – including A.I.R. processing for speaker/mic/room emulation – and
    you can use whichever connections are most appropriate for interfacing with
    your recording gear.

I'm guessing that the switch should be in Studio position and the XLR output from the Line6 to the XLR of the power amp should be used to get the +4dBu level.

Edit: It actually may not be the switch but the use of the XLR balanced output in either mode to get the +4dBu level.

15. cjp3044

cjp3044

Oct 10, 2008
    Clovis, CA
    +1

You absolutely have to make or buy the correct cable (make - speakon cables are easy to modify)

I own the same amp, it's fine, nice and loud, thumps really good, but it was just kind of "missing" something -- it's the input sensitivity - if your preamp has the output to match the input of the Crown, fine, but mine doesn't, so I switched to a Crest ProLite 2.0 - I'm not saying that you should change your amp, but at least look at the output level of your pre

16. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Here's the manual...check page 4 for bridged mono set-up:

http://www.crownaudio.com/media/storagebk/pdf/amps/142169-1_XLS3_MultilingualManual_032410.pdf

Nothing wrong with activating the clip indicators but do bypass the high-pass filters for now. Use a bridged mono cable (+1, +2) in the Channel 1 output...a conventional (+1, -1) Speakon cable will not work. Set the Channel 1 attenuator at ~ 4:00 for starters, turn off Channel 2 attenuator (fully CCW).

Do not use an XLR cable between the preamp and XLS1500! Run a conventional signal / instrument cable from the pre's 1/4" ouput to the 1500's Channel 1 "Link / Out" input jack. I don't know why it works but it does. OTOH, I've had no problem with using XLR cables between a mixer and 1500 but that's another story. As already mentioned, the 1500 likes to "see" a +4 dB ("pro") signal from the preamp source.

If you do the above, you should be cookin' on all burners. If still problematic, feel free to PM me.

Riis

17. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

To avoid confusion: the cable should be wired +1 >> +1 and +2 >> -1. The speakon with the two plusses goes into the amp and the other into the cabinet. Which end is which should be clearly identified as the cable will not work t'other way around.

18. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    + another one. You need a bridge speaker cable as described or else you will get only a fraction of the output. I have used Crown XLS1500's to drive several different rigs in both stereo (two cabs) and bridge (one cab) mode. It has plenty of power, even when the preamp is a little bit lower in output than the Crown's peak input sensitivity.

19. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Yes, to reiterate:

Amp end: +1, +2

Speaker end: +1, -1

Thanks for the clarification, Paul!

Riis

20. Wow you guys are great! Tons of info here. I'm betting on the speakon as well as this was my first time ever using a speakon connection on my bass rig, and I had to rush out to guitar center and buy one on the way to the gig! I'm still at work but will be checking as soon as I can. You guys said it will be labeled on the speakon connector??

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021