Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just got my Essex SJB-62 Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 20one, Apr 19, 2004.

1. 20one

20one

Jan 10, 2003
    Abilene, TX
    ...and all I can say is "WOW"... I paid just shy of 165 bucks for this bass and I'm totally amazed at this thing.

I've read that they've been compared equal to the MIM Fender Jazz Basses, but I'd have to say this rates right up there with the American Fenders... this bass is freakin awesome.

Straight out of the box the sound is wonderful... the only thing that needs to be adjusted is the intonation (which is one of the many things I expected having to adjust), but that is all... the action is great, the neck is perfect, and it looks ten times better than I expected it to look like from the pictures I saw of it...

Major props to Rondo Music for making these basses available at the price they have them at... I will most definitely be making another purchase from them soon!

2. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    agree. I just bought a 5-string version about two months ago and it's been fun as heck to play. Hard to beat a bass w/ HSC for $200 that is built and plays as well as these do. Of course, just because they're so inexpensive it's fun to mod them too...which is what I'm playing around with now.

:D

3. lsu921

lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    I'm gonna have to get one of these. I've been having bad fretless GAS attacks lately. I'm not sure if fretless is my thing, but I can't go wrong at the price they sell these at.

4. hey. i was wondering what the advantages were to playing a fretless as to a fretted. i was thinking of getting a fretless but i play harder rock metal so i dont know if a fretless would be good. opinions...

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Let the "GASP A GOOD BASS FOR CHEAP" effect chill for a bit and you'll realize that they arent usually par with american fenders, but certainly mexican or japanese.