1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Just got my first bass and it came with a Peavey 410 4tx

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wondablunt92, Jan 23, 2012.

1. It doesn't come with a head. The most i can spend is $150. Are there any suggestions? New,used it doesn't matter i just need something to play with.

2. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    i read some decent stuff about the 200 watt acoustic head i think its a b200h. used its prob in your price range.if you watch CL for older peavey heads like the mark4, the 260 series, you'll turn up something in that price range. keep it above 150 watts, tho, or you'll still need something else fairly soon.BUT, i think you should save up for something nicer, tho. spend 10 bucks on adapters and just play thru your stereo thru headphones. it'll suck for a while but you'll be happier with a good amp than a crappy "now" amp.

3. If you can stretch to 200 there's a nice older Trace Elliot in the classifieds.

4. can you tell me the difference between a preamp and a head. I've been looking through but im not sure what to do

5. ^ how do you do this?

6. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Fand an old Peavey MkIV it's what I use with mine and it kicks ass.
    You could also keep an eye out for a Peavey MegaBass, T-Max or Firebass heads as these are all good amps and are usually sold pretty cheap.

7. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    +1 on the old MK III & IV Peaveys. Great bang for the buck.

8. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
  9. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
  10. Might look for a used GK Backline 600. I used that for a little while with my 410tx and it sounded great.

11. Thanks for the help!

12. A head is a preamp and power amp in one box.

I wouldn't bother hooking bass to headphones, just play on it ampless. It's good for your calluses, not so good for learning to find tone in your fingers.

13. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Perhaps a puppy??? :D

14. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Puppies are great playmates. I used to have four. Now, they are all dogs.

To the OP. With your limited budget, look on ebay and craigslist for ANYTHING you can afford. Peavey will give you the most bang for your buck

15. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    150 could sure buy someting used and good. I find GK (even GK Backline) and Peavey in the local CL ads all the time.

16. MontanaBassDude

MontanaBassDude

Sep 20, 2011
    Used Ampeg B2r heads - 350w, graphic equalizer - I see them all the time on Ebay going for under $150.

17. Watch GC used. Ebay has some bargains, I got my MKIV for $100. Put new tolex on it and can probably double my investment if I tried.

18. levis76

levis76 Seconds from getting ba...

Apr 14, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Hartke heads are decent bang for the buck too, esp the HA series. I've seen HA3500 go for $150. That's an amp you can keep and use forever.