Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just got my first bass!! Got an awesome deal, i think!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tdark1, Apr 21, 2003.

1. tdark1

tdark1

Apr 19, 2003
    Just bought my first bass, i got it off ebay, and think i got a really good deal!! Its a Fender MIM P-Bass, from 1998, only a few minor scratches in the back, I saw pics of it. The owner says it was a NICE playing bass, but had too much stuff, and needed to sell!! So i picked it up for $200 + $25 for insured shipping!! I'm stoked!! I think I did well!!

Rob

2. not a bad deal at all! welcome to the world of bassmanship...or something. well, just welcome!

3. XxBassmanxX

XxBassmanxX

Nov 21, 2001
    Rosman NC
    Those are good basses. I really hope you enjoy it.

Joe

4. MIM P's are a good deal to begin with.

$225 is even better.

Rock on!

5. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I have a MIM P and I love it. Very good choice, not only for a first bass, but one that you can also gig with.

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Decided to go with the MIM over the Essex, eh? Doesn't matter, you got one heck of a nice first bass.

7. tdark1

tdark1

Apr 19, 2003
    Well after talking to you I was going to go with an Essex for sure, but I saw this deal, and the essex was $129 shipped to my door, and the MIM P-Bass was $225 shipped to my door. So I thought that was a much better deal!! I think I'm gonna look at getting a Peavey Minx 110 as a practice amp, they are $125 on ebay, is that a fair price?? Or does anyone else have a better idea?? Let me know please!!

Rob

8. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    if you like your mex p-bass now try putting on a bad-ass bridge and adding dimarzio p-ups, it will really put your bass in the big leagues,it will cost about 140.00 for parts and the difference will be 10 fold. i'm not saying your bass sounds cheap by anymeans its just a perfect up-grade for that style bass, before i traded in my mex p-bass for my japan made one i had that perticular pair of up-graded parts and it made my bass sound like its american brothers(maybe even a little better) there's no hurry its just a suggestion you might want to look into when you start giging or recording or even if you just play for yourself you wont be disappointed.
    good luck with your first fender,she will treat you well:bassist:

9. Billdog

Billdog

Feb 27, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Can't go wrong with a P-bass man! I wish I had known more about getting used stuff on the internet when I got my first bass (all of 1 year ago :)). I got a Squier for about $300 new! I'll never say never, but I doubt I'll ever buy new again! To me it's just not worth it. Unless, of course, I wanted a hand-made custom jobber just for me, to my specs. Ahhhhhh *drool* custom jobberrrrrrrrrr..........

Anyway...congratulations!

10. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I second geezer's idea of getting a DiMarzio pickup for the bass. I put one of those in, and I am nothing but happy with it. It is a great pickup that really is very easy to install.

11. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i also put the dimarzio's in MIJ p/j bass and they crank it out in a big way,when i practice at home i usually play my mex j/bass(stock everything) and keep my amp at like 3 as to not wake my roomies,BUT if i use my p/j bass with the dimarzios i must turn it down to like 1 or it will be way to loud,full,thumpy whatever but it needs to be lowered, and thats proof enuff for me! HUM:bassist: