1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just got my first bass!! Now what????

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by mberlin74, Apr 2, 2006.

1. I was hoping I could get some good direction about where to go from here. I Bought a bass guitar for dummies book and have started to go through it but was hoping for other avenues to explore. What would you suggest as a first time bass student. I cant read music yet either. DVD's books anything would ge a good suggestion. Should I find a place to take lessons? Thanks.

2. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    1) Take lessons
    2) Start playing
    3) Use tabs at the beginning, google for how to read tabs if you dont know how
    4) Get Guitar Pro and use Guitar Pro tab if possible, they're really helpful for us beginners.

3. Thanks. Is tab just a way of telling you where to go in the fretboard?

4. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Yep, tabs are numbers on a string:

-----------------------------
    -----------------------------
    ------4---3---2-----------------
    ---5----5---5-------------------

like this. 5 on the biggest string would have you play the note right after the 4th fret and right before the 5th. You can usually figure out the timing by listening to the song although some tabs have timing symbols.

5. Thanks. I will give it a try.

6. ilikethebass

ilikethebass

Feb 3, 2005
    Detroit
    now you play dude. Dont worry about the books right now. Pick it up and dont put it down. Of course learning the theory at the same time as learning technique is a good thing, but you might want to keep your mind occupied on one thing at a time untill you feel like you can handle more.

Hold it how you feel comfortable. Play with your index and middle finger with your right hand (alternating between the 2 how you feel necessary), and all your left hand fingers (this is only if your right handed of course). You dont have to do this to begin however, cus it might feel foreign to you now. Use the finger or fingers you feel most comfortable using. You might feel that your right hand needs to be planted somewhere while plucking the strings. I usually plant my hand on the top of one of the pickups while resing my forearm on the top of the body of the bass. Keep your arms relaxed. It will grow on you man, you really just gotta do it and see what happens. Just play what you think sounds good. Once you feel like you might be able to play a song, start learning from books or a teacher. And if you arent a total newbie, sorry for writing to you like you are. You sounded like you need some help.

7. JtheJazzMan

JtheJazzMan

Apr 10, 2006
    Australia
    having a good teacher will get you a lot further than a book. books are good for extended research though, and learning techniques youd otherwise not learn. with some proper instruction and regular practice youll be on your way to being a great bassist in no time :)

8. I suggest reading up on music theory aswell as playing some tunes by tab and learning your chords, scales ect. Id suggest learning where the notes are on your fretboard, making sure your technique is not far from perfect, making sure you learn the basics of your instrument, and your purpose as a bass player. Then get yourself some tabs and lessons and start getting into it. Hopefully you will see some rapid improvements.

9. 1) Get your hands on the plank as much as possible. Become so familiar with it that it feels like an extension of your body. Keep it in your hands while you watch TV and play repetetive patterns to let it become second nature.

2) If you don't already, listen to music that you already like but listen critically particularly to the bass parts. Try to copy them. Pickup on the movement a bassline can bring to a piece.

3) After you're feeling pretty at home on the bass and it's not so "foreign" anymore, start playing with other musicians. Being able to play alone or along with pre-recorded music is one skill. Playing in an ensemble while listening/reacting to what others are playing is a completely different skill.

4) Start to understand the "zen" of bass. It truly is that magical musical force that holds everything together musically. It's not just the notes. It's feel, technique, touch, and so many other factors. Developing the ability to slip into that "deep zone" is what being a bassist really is.

10. Wow!!! I feel so much more important!!! I must learn more my Master.:D

To mberlin74: That Dummies book can teach you alot if you practice and pay attention. There is alot of good theory, scales, and application in there. Like every other poster has said practice anyway you can.

11. clockworkwar

clockworkwar

Mar 20, 2006
    England
    Learn some tabs, pracitce everyday. Plays songs like I saw her standing there, by the Beatles to give your hand a nice painful workout.

And then try and learn the bass cleff it is important if you want to go in a band really. And generally have fun, if you get a teacher it will make this learning a whole lot faster!