Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

just got my first DB

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by learning_towalk, Oct 15, 2004.

1. I have an Ergo EUB for performance but wanted an URB for practice and street corner/coffee shop gigs

I got a Harmann Berry E230

It has great projection,low end,clarity and build. It's actually pretty much identical in feel/build/sound as the Englehardts i tried..I'm gonna take it to my luthier this week to get an adjustable bridge on it and have a proper set up done...I've been so used to my EUB;s incrediblely low action (very electric bass like) so that's gonna take some getting used to, the biggest thing however is getting used to the body because it makes playing COMPLETELY different than playing on the EUB....oh well I look forward to much practice :)

just wanted to share

2. bassbob

bassbob

Oct 16, 2004
    Midwest
    You're in good company here. :) I just picked up an old kay 1/4 size bass and have been working on learning the neck and avoiding blisters. I'm gettin gto the stage where I'm not popping blisters as much and I'm getting the feel of the neck down. The scale on the 1/4 kay is about 34" or normal electric scale.
    I've been sitting in on a bunch of bluegrass jams and I'm getting some of standards down well enough to be invited back. Keep up the good work and don't worry about the blisters you'll eventually get past them.
    Bob

3. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Congrats on the new bass. You must be glad that you upgraded from the Ergo to a URB.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yeah - I've been trying DBs recently and I really want to get closer to the fingerboard - but there's this big "thing" in the way, stopping me playing more freely!! It's very frustrating!! ;)

5. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    only young kids play 1/4 instruments around here !!! :confused:

how do you do it: extra long endpin ? or on a stool ? or kneeling down ? or do you use a strap ? any pics available ?

6. well I still love my ergo and plan on using it quite a bit...but I deffinately think I'm in live with my DB...it sounds excellent...just need to get used to the higher action/ and I'm getting pretty used to the body now....my main focus right now is inotation which I know just come with practice...

and the sucky thing is that the DB instructor at the college I go to retired so I don't know where I can't get one...close to home

7. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN

Start a thread here...someone is gonna be able to point you in the right direction.

8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    That's funny; that is the single biggest issue I have with my EUB... it's too damn close to my body. I always struggle with that when I occasionally have to gig with it. It feels really tight and restrictive, and I have to put in some EUB practice time just to get ready for road trips. Just another perspective...

9. PatrickC

PatrickC

Jan 29, 2002
    Orlando
    Marcus, I had the same problem with my Azola. I stand somewhat behind the bass and, as the Azola "adjustable bout" comes directly out to the side, the positioning was nothing like a double bass for me. I also noticed I was squeezing with my left hand instead of using arm weight because there was nothing to absorb the weight.

I bent and completely reshaped the "bout" to better mimic the position of my double bass. It bends easily -- no tools needed, just a little brute force. Looks kind of funny now, but feels much better.

10. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    So you bent the padded part back towards your torso?

11. PatrickC

PatrickC

Jan 29, 2002
    Orlando
    At first I tried just bending the bout back where it connects, but I wasn't getting enough distance. So I unwound the padded part that leans into your body and twisted it around toward the back. I tweaked it until the distance and placement was similar to the back of my double bass. The bout is in kind of a disfigured "C" shape now. I figured if I broke it I could order a new one from the Azolas. Steve, in fact, gave me the idea to try bending it when I explained the problem to him. The end result isn't elegant in appearance, but it works for me.

12. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Thanks, Patrick, I'll try that.