1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just got my first job at Tommy Hilfiger! Some Questions

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by PRUNEFACE, May 27, 2011.

1. I just got a job offer at Tommy Hilfiger, and I have some questions about the store and it's policies. Could someone help me out with experiences of their own? I found quite a bit of stuff on the internet, but none of which was particularly recent.
    1.) What is the dress code at the outlet stores?
    2.) What is the company's culture like?
    3.) What is the best part of working at Tommy Hilfiger?
    4.) What is the worst in your opinion?

Odds are I will think of more.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    You didn't ask at least question #1 during your interview? I always ask #3 and #4 when I would go on an interview. As for #2, that should be obvious.

-Mike

3. It was my first interview and i was excited. Luckily it didnt show, but I'm seeing what I forgot to do... I plan on calling to find out from the manager, I just wanted to get an idea tonight.
    The behind-the-scenes workings is what makes the company different (I mean sure, the products are different -but there is a lot more to a job than just its product, at least when youre working for them).

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Unfortunately you're probably going to be required to wear nothing but Tommy Hilfiger gear... hopefully they give you a bit of a stipend to build up your wardrobe before you start. The last thing you'd want is to have to drop a few hundred on TH clothes just to go to work for them.

5. Call the manager and ask questions 1 & 2. They will understand that you're trying to fit the store and understand it well.

Questions 3 and 4 are up to you to figure out. Your ATTITUDE will provide 80% of the answer.

6. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Assuming you applied to work there, your job BEFORE applying was to research the company and find the answers to any questions you had before applying and hopefully interviewing. Anything you couldn't find beforehand you were suppose to ask in said interview.

Since this was your first interview I don't really expect you to know all of this, but definitely carry this advice with you into the future. Researching a company before applying and interviewing is incredibly important. It separates the men from the boys.

7. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    Congrats on the job offer - well done!

Read what Pilgrim said and follow his advice.

8. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    And as someone who has worked in that business, what you wear depends entirely on your position in the company. Will you be working in a management position? A sales position? Will you be on the floor or in an office?

9. All I knew was: good pay, good hours, good clothes, (supposedly) great management. I'm just hoping that I didn't miss something important -their website is horrendous as far as potential employees are concerned.

10. See my post above.

Problem solved. :cool:

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Jeez. Go to the store and see what the salespeople are wearing. Ask a couple employees your other questions.

And always remember to call it Tommy Hilfinger.

12. Sabaaaaaaaaa!

13. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    You should become your new boss's friend on Facebook and post these questions on his wall. :ninja: :bag:

14. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    And then shot him with a hunting bow.

15. I would expect Cannibal Corpse shirts and cut-off camo shorts to be out of the question.

Past that, show up in nice clothes, black slacks, nice shirt, and black dress shoes on the first day and find out whats proper work attire. I would have more info for you if I'd payed more attention on my mall stink-bombing missions when I was younger...

But alas...

16. rr5025

rr5025

Nov 12, 2008
    I've worked in quite a few stores so I suppose this is my area of expertise.

Its 98% likely its going to be anything that's their clothes. For example, I worked at Hollister, Abercrombie and Express. All had a pretty similar dress code.

Anything sold in the store was a ok.
    You are allowed to wear things from other stores as long as it is a similar style and doesn't have any brand names/logos on it.
    [Express only] Jeans had to be from Express.
    Footware comprised of Converse (chuck taylors) or dress shoes.

I wouldn't worry about dress code though yet, you're going to have an orientation day where you will get hooked up with clothes and info. Honestly I would bet any money you are going to get an employee handbook with all the info you could ever want.

As for the stipend thing, AF and Hollister gave us 40% and 30% off respectively. Once every quarter we got 50% off anything that was on the mannequins (not the actual shirts on the mannequin, just the same item)., I believe this was only at AF though. At Express we got something like 35% off and then once every quarter there was an employee friends and family day where we would get 40%. Discounts at all places didn't apply to sales stuff.

As for good and bad I'll throw in my thoughts (I've worked both upfront and in the stock room at all places). Its really highly subjective, it really depends on you. I've never liked being up front. Sometimes its alright but when the store isn't busy its pretty much just roaming around looking for stuff to do. Of course sometimes you're going to have to deal with a real ---hole, in my experience they're mostly women (seeing as most guys aren't really all that passionate about clothes), but rest assured all the weird questions I've been asked have been only from men! Also you're expected to pretty much hound people if they any help. I was never big on this because when I shop, and its the same for most people I know, I like to be left alone and when I need help I'll ask for it.

In the stock room it's pretty much just you or someone else and a lot of repetitive work. You'll get to listen to your own music and do whatever you want in a way (since you're not up front), but there's a little more pressure of having to move through shipments in a certain amount of time. FWIW I preferred being in the stock room more than being up front.

Last thing I'll throw in (as a sort of learn from my mistakes thing). If you're going to be working a lot get a pair of supportive shoes, or find some good insoles for your shoes. I really hurt my feet working at Express and its almost a year later and I'm still messed up. A years worth of misery could have been prevented by just having good support.

I hope that helped some!

17. Amen to the note on shoes. Your feet can stand a lot when you're young, but you're setting the stage for problems later. NEVER wear cheap shoes, but buy for support.

And for crissakes, if you wear leather shoes, POLISH THEM every week!!!! Nothing will lower the opinion of anyone who knows how to dress than for you to show up wearing scuffed, nasty shoes. It tells them immediately that you don't care about details. I'm serious.

18. Well, I'm loving all of these advice and comments, particularly from you rr5025
    and I know about the shoes... But i can't find a pair that works for me. I have flat feet and have to wear a prescription orthotic insert, but most shoes cant handle the insert's exertions from the way I walk. I might just start another thread if I must... But I'm currently looking for a shoe that fits the store and my medical needs -any advice? (I was told I can't wear my eccos due to not enough support, but I would like shoes just as good or better in quality and comfort)

19. rr5025

rr5025

Nov 12, 2008
    I would suggest you ask who you get your orthotics from. Seriously if you have bad feet and you don't get a supportive shoe its going to be hell (all that standing and such).

20. Unfortunately the shoes they recommend are athletic shoes -or casual athletic shoes, like New Balance. I'd need something dressier. Im still on the search. Naot and Mephisto are where I'm looking.