Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just got my first Zon...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adrian garcia, Mar 20, 2004.

1. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    ..and WOW!! this thing kills! it's a Sonus Special 5 Lined fretless and I am loving it ! the lows are HUGE ! and it plays like a dream..I know, i know.. pics.. coming up-- back to playin it!

2. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...what took you so long...

~S~

3. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    havent put it down since it got here- i will try to get a pic before the sun goes down

4. Great, Adrian. Can't wait to see it.

5. congrats bro! can't wait to see it.

6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    here's a pic- I love the bubinga top- ok, gotta go back and play some more- i will break it out on a gig tomorrow afternoon- tonight , it's strickly fretted-
    [​IMG]

7. Very nice, Adrian. I love the bubinga.

8. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

That's cool man...get a good deal? I like the top. I've tried a few, very nice basses.

9. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    Congrats bro! I was at Joe's shop last week & as always I was blown away by the craftsmanship on his incredible basses. Plus, Joes one of the coolest guys you'll ever meet. (Outside of Adrian of course)

Mark
    AccuGroove.com

10. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Marcus- we have a mutual friend- Doc Greene. he is here and has been a good friend for years- your name came up- always in a great light-
    Fellas, this is a great bass! I am wondering what a fretted might sound like---

11. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Rockin Adrian, way to go. I haven't put mine down since I got it 4weeks ago. Enjoy your bass bro. I do love that bubunga top. It's gorgeous!!

12. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Quite good !
    Just curious are the electronics 3 band with pickup balance ? and what's the switch ?
    I have the Poly pre in my Special and I'm liking it.

13. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Adrian,
    I can tell you that the fretted's sound amazing too! I have two Sonus Customs, one with a Claro Walnut top and the other with a Quilted Redwood top. Both have a their own unique tones. I would love to get another, maybe even a fretless! Now that you're a dealer, we may have to talk. And Joe is a very cool guy. I drop by there every few months to buy strings and have him adjust the basses. It's handy having a Joe Zon nearby!

14. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Does yours have a Bart pre or Poly pre? Seems like you like it a lot.

Does Zon fretless trump F-Bass fretless? :D

15. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Yowza, that is pretty. Congrats and welcome tot the club.

What's the control layout?

16. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    hey , Blackbird- the control layout is master volume, pan, stacked bass and treble and a mid pot with a 3 position switch-
    very cool , I am loving the bass-
    JR- I don't think one is better than the other- different... the F bass was amazing and tonally and playability wise- every bit as killer as the Zon- but the black lines did not work out for me- these white lines are MUCH better-- I can actually stand to listen to my fretless playing now!

17. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Cool. Is the preamp a Zon poly or a Bart?

18. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Bart-
    you know, i have been hearing things like bassists are getting tired of the "Bartolini sound" at times- but this one sounds great and it's very interesting to hear how different they sound on different basses...

19. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I had one come by, and it really was something else. Just a bad mother franker. My favorite fretlesses are those and pentabuzzes generally, some others come to mind occassionally. However, I suck too much to really want to keep a high dollar one around. It was either that, or make the move to a 6, and the 6 has my attention right now.

Congrats Adrian! I hear you on the fretlines, playbacks are very unforgiving.

20. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Adrian, With this level of enthusiasm, you are hereby obligated to get a "Fretted" Zon and let us know what you think? Easy for me to say. I would love to read your review of a fretted Zon as well. Collect the whole set I always say!