Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just got my free Elixirs in the mail

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by anotherbassist, Jun 18, 2005.

1. So I signed up for that trial on the bassplayer magazine website about 2 months ago and got the free pair of elixirs in the mail. They came with a card that asks you to try them out and send the used strings back and you will recieve a "thank-you gift," along with filling out an online survey. All I have to do is use them and send them back within the year and the gift is mine, woohoo. Anybody know what the gift is maybe another set of strings?

2. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I too just received my free set of Heavy Nanowebs. I'm not gonna be able to put them on for about 2 months because I have a good set of DRs on right now. I'm gonna have to leave them on for probably 6-7 months in order to put them to the test. I wasn't expecting to be picked, honestly.

They want you to use them at least 2 times longer than you'd normally use strings. My DRs sound good for months and months. I know some people use strings for 1 whole year before changing. In that case, Elixir would have to wait for 2 years before they get their long-term feedback. :eek:

-Eric. :bassist:

3. Wabbit_Swayer

Wabbit_Swayer

Sep 24, 2004
    Pullman, WA
    I just recieved my Medium gauge Nanowebs yesterday as well. Im going to put them on this monday and do the survey after a few hours. My PJ is currently using a set of D'Addario XLs, so this should be an interesting switch.

4. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I can't believe they want us to use em for twice as long - on my Ibanez I havn't changed it since I got it in late september, and well who knows how long they were on there before then...

5. Yup, got mine too... I'll have to send them back tho... before the end of the year. I want that free gift! What could it be? a new bass perhaps? Hmm...

6. I'm not eligible since I live in Canada. Would have been a good opportunity to actually try out Elixirs.

7. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Got 'em too, haven't decided which bass to put them on yet.....Jazz, or the Stingray?

8. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I just got mine as well. I didn't know if they were actually coming, but here they are. Medium 5-stringers. For me, nickel rounds usually last a month to six weeks, since I like the "new string" sound. The Ernie Balls I had on this bass (Tobias Basic) lasted about a month, and the Roto 665 LDN's that are on it now have been on for about six weeks and are beginning to lose their edge. They could probably go a week or two more, but I don't mind putting the Elixirs on, maybe tonite or tomorrow.

9. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Well, I received a nice little "Father's Day" suprise of Elixer strings today. While going to my Godmothers house for a get together, my Aunt deliverred an envelope containing the strings for the trial. The weird thing was that I never received an email confirmation that I was selected, so I never gave her the heads up to look out for them. At any rate, they'll be going on my Roscoe as soon as I get it back from Keith.

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I thought I'd be overlooked, but my free Nanowebs arrived Saturday. :) I'll probably put 'em on my Sadowsky.

11. SubversivePinko

SubversivePinko No use for an ironic title

Feb 19, 2005
    Bellingam, WA
    Got mine today!

I'll throw 'em on the SX tonight.

12. i'll change em soon on my jazz probably, see how they suit up.

13. I just got mine in! Today is great!

14. Got mine today too :hyper:

15. +1

stupid elixirs

16. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    I had forgotten all about signing up for this "survey"! My Medium 5 string set came in today and my SR5 is gonna get stripped of it's SR2000's, cleaned and strung up tonight.

With the band playing some outdoor gigs over the next few weeks... (90 degrees at 10 PM downbeat :eek: )... we'll see how well this Nanoweb coating holds up to some honest to goodness sweat and dirt. :p

We'll also see what that coating sounds/feels like soon enough too, I reckon. :bassist:

17. I normally use the heaviest gauge I can use, but I decided to go for Super Light and I really like the feel of super light strings...I can't wait for the gift:)

My guess is another set of strings.

18. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    that'd be pretty funny...

Or guitar strings, and you'd be like ***? :p

Eh, I will send a set back...I just can't believe that its in just a short time...O well, guess I am gonna try to get my friends to take that coffeehouse gig...

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I didn't think mine were coming, since everybody else got theirs last week. They came today. A 5 string set of nanowebs. Now to figure out which bass to put them on.

20. I got mine today - I totally forgot about signing up and all that, so it was an awesome surprise. I can't wait to string 'em up? :hyper: